On average, 20,000 deaths and 21 million medical visits occur annually. Firefighters and paramedics respond to thousands of accidents every day. Follow some of these tips to help prevent accidents in your home.
In the bathroom, cleaners should be locked away out of the reach of children. Medications, scissors, razor blades and cleaning supplies should be kept in a locked cabinet or out of the reach of children and pets. Non-skid appliqués in the tub and shower can prevent slips and falls.
Children should not be left unattended in or around the pool. Pool areas should be fenced in with a gate secured with a childproof safety lock or latch.
Children can stick objects in open sockets and get hurt. Unused electrical outlets must have safety plugs to prevent accidental electrocution from foreign objects being put in the socket.
Every home should have a fire extinguisher. Smoke and carbon monoxide detectors should be on each floor of the home and tested monthly. Batteries should be changed at least every six months or as necessary. A fire extinguisher must be accessible.
Keep paper towels, plastic plates, plastic utensils and anything other than cooking equipment away from the stove. These items can easily start a fire if left too
Keep pesticides and cleaners away from children. Store chemicals in a locked cabinet or keep on a high shelf that children cannot reach. Do not spray bug spray or pesticides near a child’s toys since toys tend to go into a child’s mouth. In addition, never leave household chemicals unattended, unfortunately, small children may try to open the products and drink the contents.
For additional home safety tips contact your local fire department and visit www.nsc.org.