20-hour French Valley standoff ends in arrest of sheriff deputy

UPDATE: 09/02/12:15 a.m. With booking information

Alcide Galley was arrested after a 20-hour standoff at his home in French Valley.
Alcide Galley was arrested after a 20-hour standoff at his home in French Valley.

A jail record search revealed Alcide Galley Jr. was booked into jail on suspicion of assault with a deadly weapon, false imprisonment, inflicting corporal injury on a spouse and resisting or obstructing a peace officer. He is currently being housed at the Robert Presley Detention Center in Riverside.

He is being held in lieu of $500,000 bail and is scheduled to be seen at the Southwest Justice Center in Murrieta Sept. 6.

The investigation remains active and the Sheriff’s Department is asking anyone with any information related to this incident is encouraged to call the Southwest Sheriff’s Station at (951) 696-3000.

Callers can refer to incident file number SW16244020 and can remain anonymous. Citizens may also submit a tip using the Sheriff’s CrimeTips online form.




FRENCH VALLEY – A standoff between a Riverside County Sheriff’s deputy and members from the deputy’s own agency ended peacefully after the standoff dragged on for nearly 20 hours in French Valley. The incident was brought to a safe conclusion with assistance from the Hemet/Murrieta joint SOU/SWAT team

The residence where the incident occurred is west of Highway 79 and east of Leon Road. The neighborhood is northeast of Murrieta.

Alcide Galley, 49, a current Riverside County Sheriff’s deputy, was taken into custody after the nearly day long standoff that began at a home in the 35100 block of Nightingale Street Wednesday Aug. 31. The standoff ended early Thursday, Sept. 1. at about 7 a.m. according to a Riverside County Sheriff official.

“We can confirm that the suspect involved in the incident is employed by the Riverside County Sheriff’s Department,” Riverside County Sheriff’s Public Information Officer Deputy Mike Vasquez confirmed in an interview after Galley was safely in custody.

It was not immediately known whether Galley surrendered on his own or if SWAT team members had apprehended him.

“Those details are still unfolding at this time,” Vasquez said. “As the investigation unfolds we’ll release those details.”

Vasquez explained how the incident began, saying, “Yesterday at about 11 o:clock in the morning we received a report of a domestic dispute.”

Deputies from the Riverside County Sheriff’s Southwest Station responded to the location to investigate the report. When they arrived they learned Galley was by himself inside the residence and was refusing to come out.

“During our response we attempted to contact the suspect who was uncooperative and barricaded himself in his home,” Vasquez explained.

As a precautionary measure, the entire community of homes was closed off by law enforcement officials during the standoff.

Neighboring homes were evacuated by officials. Those who were evacuated were not allowed to return to their homes until the following morning and had to make their own accommodations for the evening. The incident did not meet the criteria for the Red Cross to assist with those effected by the evacuations.

Throughout the rest of the day and into the evening, countless officials from multiple agencies converged on the scene. Several Bearcat armored rescue vehicles and at least two robots – one large and one very small that can climb residential stairs – were brought to the location, as was an armored battering ram.

As the standoff continued, members from a hostage negotiations team were brought in to communicate with Galley in an effort to resolve the incident peacefully. Several large command posts were set up at an undisclosed location nearby.

By noon on Thursday, there were few indications of anything that had occurred in the normally quiet neighborhood during the previous 24 hours.

“We appreciate the public’s assistance and their patience as this incident unfolded in their community,” Vasquez said. “We understand it’s a difficult scenario when you are outside of your homes but we do appreciate the public’s understanding as this whole incident was resolved peacefully.”

As of 4 p.m., a jail records search did not show Galley had been booked into jail yet.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.