22-year-old motorcyclist killed on Ortega Hwy

LAKE ELSINORE – A motorcyclist was killed when he tried passing a vehicle on the Ortega Highway near Lake Elsinore and slammed his sport bike into a guardrail, the California Highway Patrol reported Sunday.

The motorcyclist, identified by Riverside County coroner’s officials as Jonathan Scurtu, 22, of Lake Elsinore, traveled west in his 2014 Yamaha R6 on the east of the Lookout Point at 1:10 p.m. Saturday. The crash occurred 7.5 miles east of the county line, according to the CHP.

Witnesses told officers Scurtu rode his motorcycle 60 to 65 mph when he swerved wide into the opposing lane. Scurtu lost control when the bike slid under him, the CHP reported.

The motorcycle crashed into the guardrail, and Scurtu was flung. He died at the scene from his injuries, according to the CHP.

9 Responses to "22-year-old motorcyclist killed on Ortega Hwy"

1. Lee Chew   September 1, 2014 at 4:08 pm

Day after day, week after week, same old story of folks killing themselves on this highway. Everyone has choices on how to travel, but some choose the "E" Ticket and pay the price with death.

Sorry Scurtu family, your child was way to young to leave you, be strong and love the ones or family with you.

2. MJ   September 4, 2014 at 8:15 am

I wish I could take back Saturday if I knew what I know now. I waited and waited for you, called to make sure you were at least okay cause you never showed up. I am so sorry. My heart is broken and my soul is numb. Love and prayers for strength to your family. I still check my phone for the text you promised to let me know you got to our meet spot safe and ready to hit Laguna Beach for lunch.

3. Reality Checker   September 4, 2014 at 3:45 pm

As long as young’uns keep taking chances without weighing the risks they will keep reeping what they sow. Sad. But true. Not the first, certainly won’t be the last. Hard to feel too much sympathy when one gets what they ask for.

4. Preston   September 5, 2014 at 7:58 am

Not sure what caused this accident however many Motorcyclists in this area are out of control. High speed lane sharing and dare devil riding are common yet I never see a Motorcyclists getting a ticket. I do, unfortunately, often read stories similar to this one in the Valley and Village news.

5. teutonicrider   September 5, 2014 at 9:56 am

A very tragic and a senseless death. I was at the Lookout when the rider went past at extreme speed just moments before he crashed The other sport bike riders in the parking lot just shook their heads at the recklessness, and when I heard the sirens coming up from Lake Elsinore below, my worst fears were confirmed. Folks, please ride within your limits on this and any other road. The adrenaline rush of pushing your bike to its limits in the corners is not worth the cost of your life.

6. CC   September 10, 2014 at 1:29 am

@teutonicrider… don’t act like you witnessed the whole thing, cuz if you were at the lookout point like you claim, then clearly you would have heard and seen him crash since it was just in sight of that spot…let alone his family and friends. everyone wants to act like they know everything…

7. Octavia   September 12, 2014 at 4:53 pm

He was loved.

8. trisha   October 11, 2014 at 4:18 am

Jon. I keep thinking about how you asked me to go with you and I said no and I would see you later. I keep thinking I should have just gotten up and gone with you. If I did then you would still be here. I think about you everyday. And I miss you so much. You helped me in so Many ways. I’m going to see you tomorrow. I have to. I miss you Jon!!!

9. brittany   July 8, 2015 at 5:23 pm

jon ive had countless dreams about you. I feel like I still see you all the time. I hear you in the wind, I hear you in the rain. I miss you so much, and ive always loved you. you were such a great friend.