Assemblyman Kevin Jeffries today (Nov. 15) warned rural residents in Riverside and San Diego County to watch for errant fire tax bills from the new “State Responsibility Area (SRA) Fire Prevention Benefit Fee” program.

“Residents who live in rural areas of California are receiving their rural fire tax bills in the mail, and many are discovering errors,” said Jeffries. “Our office has received many calls and e-mails by people who live outside the tax zone, have received duplicate tax bills, or have been assessed for ‘habitable structures’ they don’t actually have on their properties.”

Those who have received bills under the program are advised to read the bill carefully, determine whether they reside within the SRA zone, ensure that they are only billed for habitable structures, and that they have received the proper discounts ($35) for being within a special fire district or protected by a local fire agency (as all Riverside County residents are). If you find you have been incorrectly billed, you can file a “Petition for Redetermination” here. That same link also provides a map to determine if you are within the SRA area, and answers other questions about the fee.

“We have recently received several calls from residents who have received duplicate bills. Unfortunately, we have been told by CAL FIRE representatives that you cannot ignore the second bill, but must apply for a Petition for Redetermination in order to get the second bill discharged. To add to the problems, all residents in these SRA areas will receive another bill for the 2013 calendar year in the Spring, which is sure to confuse property owners further.”

Jeffries added, “I voted against the legislation that created this fire tax. I believe it was illegally passed and knew it would unnecessarily and unfairly burden rural property owners without receiving any increase in fire protection. I also introduced legislation to repeal the tax, which unfortunately failed. I am now supporting efforts by the Howard Jarvis Taxpayers Association to overturn this tax in court, but if you have received a bill, you still must either pay it, or file your Petition for Redetermination to challenge it.”

For more official information on the SRA fee from CAL FIRE, visit firepreventionfee.org

For information on the HJTA legal challenge to the SRA fee, visit firetaxprotest.org

9 Responses to "Assemblyman Jeffries advises rural residents to read new fire tax bills carefully for errors"

1. Whitefawnf   November 16, 2012 at 7:51 am

As speaking on behalf of my mother, this is out rages. That this
    so called counsel, can take it upon them selfs to pass a vote.
    With out the Consent of the American People. They the City’s
    in San Diego. Don’t even care about the people who live in
    the rural areas. The only time they care, is when they come out
    here to play, and leave their trash along side our roads. They break the road laws, of passing other drivers in wrong areas, and take peoples lives in danger. Shame on Them, and CalFIRE–it should of been PUT on the Ballet. We should of been told to ignore the second bill or even if there is a third one. They should be saying we are sorry for the error. No they want us to spend more money’s, and maybe for attorney? They do this, and our local firer fighters, Just might be with out donations.
    And that is not right either. I hope ,they sleep well at night. We do feel right to pay what is fair, not being raped…
    Why not go after
    BLM, as they do not maintain their lands, and are fire hazards of over grown brush, that danger others? One of many!

2. Me   November 16, 2012 at 1:22 pm

Unfortunately now…..since democrats now have a super majority in Sacramento….expect more of these kinds of "tax" increases.

3. Pink   November 17, 2012 at 10:10 pm

This is what happens when Democrats run the state. TAX and SPEND. Now that the fools have re-elected Obama (by a very slim margin) we can expect more of the same. You get what you pay for.

4. Mountain resident   November 18, 2012 at 3:47 pm

The government cannot balance the budget, so they go after their citizens. When I need more money, I don’t go to my employee and tell them that they need to pay me more because I cannot control my spending. Enough is enough. Stop accepting this from the government and sign a petition to stop the financial raping.

5. Preston   November 19, 2012 at 9:25 am

Mountain resident,
    The fact is, We the People enabled our Government to tax everything under the sun and accrue enormous debt by the way we vote. We became so apathetic during times of prosperity we didn’t seem to care and gave away the store. As unbelievable as that appears, we just signed up for another 4 plus years of even higher taxes. We simply mismanaged out country and may eventually will pay the ultimate price for our stupidity that is unless we are able to Frack our way to Prosperity — That is Oil Fracking. If we don’t blow it we could be the largest Oil Producer in the world by 2017. Here is hopping to you!

6. DANA   November 19, 2012 at 6:35 pm

I RECEIVED MY BILL IN THE MAIL AND THEN I CALLED AND ASKED TO BE PUT ON PAYMENTS. THEY PUT ME ON A $10 A MONTH CHARGE UNTIL THE BILL IS PAID IN FULL. THEY SAID THEY WOULD SEND ME MY BILL IN THE NEXT WEEK OR SO. I GOT IT IN 2 DAYS. AS I WAS CHECKING THE BILL OUT I CAME ACROSS THE BOX TITLED " LIABILITY PERIODS" THEY TYPED IN " 07/01/11 – 06/30/12. I’M SO CONFUSED WITH THIS BILL. I WAS TOLD THE FEE WAS FOR REMOVING BRUSH IN FIRE AREAS AND TO PROMOTE NEW GROWTH IN THE FORESTS. THIS MONEY WAS GOING TO BE USED FOR CAL FIRE TO DO THAT. THEN WHY AM I PAYING FOR UP TO ABOUT 18 MONTHS BEFORE I EVEN RECEIVED THE BILL.. THIS FEE IS FOR AND CALLED A " CALIFORNIA RESPONSIBILITY ". THEN WHY ISNT ALL OF CALIFORNIA BEING RESPONSIBLE FOR THIS FEE. I DONT LIVE NEAR A FOREST AND I DONT OWN THE LAND MY MOBILE HOME, THAT I OWN, SITS ON. I JUST WONDER HOW MUCH MONEY THE STATE IS GOING TO COLLECT FROM THE SELECTED PEOPLE THEY PICKED TO PAY. ITS FUNNY HOW NONE OF THE SACRAMENTO OR LOS ANGELES AREAS ARE BEING CHARGED. MAYBE THATS BECAUSE THE PEOPLE IN OUR STATE OFFICE LIVE THERE.

7. non-resident   November 29, 2012 at 5:13 pm

I sold my property on Dec 15, 2011 and I moved to OK. I am being forced to pay it for July 1, 2011 through July 1, 2012. I am paying a tax on property that I do not even own…….. I sent in the tax payment under protest. I laughed at the threat of the lien on the property if I did not pay it……. How can a lien be put on property that I do not own? How can people be taxed on property they do not own? Did I ever receive any kind of services from this tax, the answer is NO. Will I ever receive any kind of services from this tax, the answer is NO. I’m thankful everyday that I left this greedy pittiful state. It still managed to reach out it’s ugly tentacles to non-property owners in all other states. I have researched this whole tax (call it what it is), and it is in violation of Article 13 A, Section 3(a) as amended by Proposition 26. I have joined the Howard Jarvis class action lawsuit filed against California. I feel certain that Calif. will find a way to not refund the money if it is overturned and court ordered. Now I can address the California DMV bill that I just received in the mail for delinquent vehicle registrations on my vehicles that have been gone from there since, you guessed it, Dec 15, 2011. Yes I did fill out their form, for all my vehicles, about leaving the state, made a copy and sent it in twice. Lo and behold, here are the greedy tentacles once again, go figure!……………

8. Foothill fire fee   December 10, 2012 at 2:59 pm

It appears that this fire fee is for "services rendered" i.e. pre-fire maintenance of SRA properties.

My question is – when did these services begin and is there any proof they have even begun?

If not either- then the "fire fee prevention" is not compliant?

9. Dee Carroll   January 9, 2013 at 7:26 pm

Please email me all your updated reports on the “fire fee!” I’m not getting any lately! I have sent out last year, several letters to editor in different newspapers.
    My email address is lostpeacock@tcsn.net. This bill must be deleted and stopped now. I paid mine because I felt so intimidated! But I wrote all over the bill that I disagree with it and it must be stopped. Please keep me informed. Thank you, Dee Carroll

*****VILLAGE NEWS REPLIES****
    Dee – This newspaper does not gather reports to email individual citizens. We are not staffed to perform a service like that. Perhaps you should contact the California Dept. of Forestry (Cal Fire) for the documents/reports you desire. Thank you.