“On my way in here I finally got a ticket,” Ron Muir, a motorcycle enthusiast, said last Saturday as he leaned on the service counter of the store he runs in Old Town Temecula. He shook the piece of paper in front of him.

To Muir, the ticket was proof of a problem he had only suspected before. The Temecula police are targeting local motorcycle riders, he stated with renewed confidence.

The ticket came as if on cue. He had contacted the Valley News only a few days before about some concerns he had for his fellow motorcycle riders.

Muir owns a motorcycle gear shop in Old Town Temecula, he explained in an e-mail last week, and since last month his customers have been complaining of getting excessive tickets.

“They say, ‘No, you’re breaking the noise ordinance.’ They don’t have any decibel meters,” he said of the ticketing officers.

The Temecula Police Department stepped up enforcement in Old Town last month, said Capt. Jerry Williams, the Chief of Police for the City of Temecula.

“I got some complaints from some Old Town merchants,” he said. “When [motorcycle riders] come through there with excessively loud pipes we will put a few officers down there.”

He redirected two units – which usually patrol other parts of Temecula – to Old Town for three weekends in September, he said. The officers issued 60 citations, which was “a lot,” according to Williams.

Temporary increased enforcement falls short of a crackdown, he said.

“I ride a Harley myself. Most of my officers ride bikes,” he said at a City Council meeting during a discussion of the police department’s activities. “It’s a misconception about the whole thing.”

This month, the number of officers patrolling Old Town has returned to normal, he said.

Nonetheless, some motorcycle enthusiasts speculate the increased attention is part of a larger goal of making Temecula a quieter place.

“It sounds to me like [the local police] are cracking down on bikers,” said Ken Rauton, the owner of Swing Inn in Old Town.

Rauton rarely hears his motorcycle-riding clients complain about getting tickets in the area, he said. Then, in the middle of last month, all his clients started complaining about getting tickets, he said.

He thought little of the complaining until he noticed the police were ticketing people regularly outside his business, he said.

“You hear a siren going and they got a bike. You hear another siren and they got another bike,” he recalled.

Some motorcycle riders said Temecula is a choice destination for them and their fellow enthusiasts.

“This is what Old Town Temecula is all about: sitting here at Mad Madeline’s, enjoying a wonderful cup of lemonade and looking at the cars drive by. We love it,” said Mirna Arenas, a motorcycle rider who came to see the Rod Run last Saturday.

Nearly 100 motorcycles sat scattered in various parking lots in Old Town Temecula that night.

Though Old Town still appears to be a popular watering hole for motorcycle riders, increased enforcement could change that.

When “Temecula” is entered into the search window of www.hdforums.com, a national Harley Davidson online forum, dozens of messages appear. Some of them warn their hog-riding comrades to steer clear of Temecula.

“Boycott Temecula, California!” one message reads.

The anonymous author of the message, going under the name “ElSexton,” complained of getting a ticket in Old Town for having a loud custom exhaust system.

“That’s the number one thing you get a ticket on,” said Mike Shelhart, a business owner in Murrieta catering to motorcycle riders. He, too, has been hearing complaints from his clients recently of the police in Old Town. His clients have been getting ticketed heavily for making too much noise, he said.

At first, Shelhart recalled, he paid little attention to the complaints. Then last month, he was strolling through Old Town when he saw police loading motorcycles onto a flatbed trailer in the parking lot of The Stampede.

Last October, the city passed an ordinance limiting the noise people are aloud to make in their homes. The ordinance, however, fell short of regulating vehicle noise.

Vehicle noise is already regulated by the state’s vehicle code, Mayor Pro-Tem Maryann Edwards said at the time of the ordinance’s passage.

Muir voiced his concerns to the City Council during a meeting last Tuesday. “A lot [of bikers] are afraid to come down here [to Temecula]…they think they’re not welcome,” he said.

“People need to comply with the law,” said Mayor Mike Nagger at the meeting. “Everyone is welcome who complies with the law.”

To comment on this article online, visit www.myvalleynews.com.

122 Responses to "Bikers steering clear of Temecula, Increased ticketing angers motorcycle riders in Old Town"

1. Temecula Rider Mac   November 14, 2008 at 1:34 pm

Ok, from several of the notes above the comments seem to be Bikers against Cagers (people who drive cars). This is not about that, it

2. Old Man   December 1, 2008 at 8:57 am

I am glad most people do not want to roll over on command.
    We can’t see a old west simulated gunfight (with "bangs") in Old Town – its too violent.
    We now have a shooting at the Bank Mexican Resturant to take its place? The difference is, someone died.
    The mothers need to explain to their kids – sometimes Americans have to die for freedom.
    I have noticed some of the 30’s generation are brain dead.
    They want to be protected from their own stupidity.
    I listened on my radio scanner. Motor officers are unhappy with their mission here in Temecula.
    Motorcycles stand for freedom and the American Way.
    My girlfriend and I did a 5,000 motorcycle ride for Marine Corps Toys for Tots.
    We had escorts by police not profiling.
    Bikers need to show a 10,000 bike ride into Old Town to show who owns America.
    The bikers would pay a $1.00 donation to the city – $10,000.00.
    The donation would be for families who are homeless.
    We need to take back America.
    My family has fought every war including the American Revolution.
    I will not run and hide from unjust force or authority.
    One out of 100 Americans are incarcerated. There are too many laws. The punishment never matches the crime.
    How about $4.50 a gallon gas – a crime?
    Temecula has its own city laws and fines. This is not "consent of the people".
    Lets think of bikers as Americans.
    We are in a economic mess. The problem are "special interest laws".
    When the people fear the government, the government should fear the people.

3. Dave L   December 22, 2008 at 6:47 pm

Been riding harley’s for 30years, before it was a symbol for something other than what it is. A better form of trasportation. I live in Temecula and see wantabee’s with good credit believing the louder the pipes the tougher they are, as they pose through old town. Just ride, were not impressed.

4. Joe F.   December 27, 2008 at 8:14 pm

So what kind of ticket is this?? Fix it? If not, thats complete BS. Why is it that I can get a fix it ticket for front tints, but not for these loud fart mobiles?

5. joejoe   January 8, 2009 at 11:10 pm

my 5 year old love the loud pipes it all depends on how your raised if your the parents that tell everyone that stops by shhhhh baby sleeping or are you the parents that teah your kids about real live is not a bed of roses…live your live stay out of others ….bikers are hot …..lol young and old …

6. Dave L   January 12, 2009 at 8:31 am

Hey loud pipes. How about riding out of town on the open road. Or would that ruin the fun out of not being seen. I understand having pride in having a overpriced motorcycle that your still making payments on,and wanting to show the world you have credit, although your missing the point. Just ride. joejoe states " bikers are hot". There’s your sign!

7. Michael T.   January 19, 2009 at 10:55 am

Hmmm . . . let’s see if we have this right. . . small retailer forced to close because their primary customers go elsewhere, shop closes, leaving room for upscale retailer to move in who can afford higher leases. . . could that be it?

8. Jack M.   January 21, 2009 at 9:47 am

The latest news is that the city has backed off since they realized what a fool they made of themselves!
    95% of the business owners DO LIKE THE MOTORCYCLES. Old Town was filled with riders this past weekend.
    Check out the Hot Dog House because they are catering to the riders and have alot of room for bike parking.

9. Slim   January 24, 2009 at 1:33 pm

Another great place to park is right there at Slap’n Leather Motorcycle Gear. A bunch of our group came into Temecula and the people there at the Store said to park in the designated Motorcycle parking and they would keep an eye on all the bikes. We did and walked all over Temecula. It was great so go there and park!!!!!!

10. BIG D   February 14, 2009 at 7:28 pm

Murrietta Mike. You are the picture of what is wrong with people these days. Rather then respect someone else’s views, you just want everyone to adhere to what you want and believe. This is why there are so many STUPID lawsuits in the courts these days. A bunch of whinners with nothing better to do then jump on the band wagon and go after a group of fun loving people just enjoying life. I have been in Temecula for a number of years. I moved here from San Diego to get away from the presumptuous buttholes that were down there. Now with the cost of housing rising over these past years, those buttholes have made their way up here. The bikers have been here for many years. What gives people the right to move into an area and think that it is OK to change how things are and have been. If you don’t like things how they are then don’t move here and try to make changes. If you don’t like the history of how things have been then LEAVE! I moved here for a reason and hate how things here are changing because of you whinny buttheads. Go back to wherever it is that you came from. I ride a Harley and I do not go around town "blasting" my pipes. I enjoy the sound of my pipes but I respect others rights. If you hear others go around wailing their pipes then go get them, but if we are just cruising around then MYOFB! Old Town has been a favorite place for bikers, especially harley riders, for years. For the most part we mind our own business and do not bother anyone. We expect others to give us the same courtesy. Mind YOUR business. As far as "scaring" the kids, perhaps if we did not make our homes and towns like friggin Churches or morgues, our kids would not grow up to be such pansies afraid of their own shadows!! Go joejoe. Agree 100%! Thank You!

11. Davel   February 17, 2009 at 9:04 am

Hey "big d". get over yourself! Any one who comes up with a moniker for himself is over-compensationing for some thing. Riding is more than just being seen, but by your comments you don’t get it. Just ride.

12. Frank   February 21, 2009 at 10:53 am

Let’s support Old Town Temecula.
    I also heard about the Dog House and
    they will have a great place for the bikers
    and also have new horse shoe pits.

13. Jim   March 10, 2009 at 10:37 am

Go Bikers and Slap N Leather and
    Dog House. Watch for the big events
    in Old Town Temecula for bikers
    in August 2009.

14. jdnighthawk   April 7, 2009 at 10:56 pm

I have enjoyed all of the comments both pro and con about loud pipes and biker profiling. I have been riding for three years with over 50k miles on the odometer. Both of the bikes I owned had the stock pipes and hey! Guess what? Still alive. Some things that I have seen; cagers on cell phones are the worst drivers. A close second is V-twin(sorry H-D. You lost the trademark on that 20 years ago) riders who are so comfortable in the protective envelope of their sonic cocoon that their eyes never veer from the gunsight created by riser bars and shiny triple clamps. Ears can be deceiving in traffic and is not a substitute for a watchful eye and a movable neck. What is going to save a riders life is being aware that a two wheel profile is ignored by people in a four wheel vehicle, is too small to be considersd a threat, and with a slight flick of the wrist will be eliminated anyway. I ride with the following rules.
    1. I am invisible.
    2. I alone care about my safety.
    3. My actions reflect on the whole riding community.
    Yes I have had close calls out on a busy I-10 and on lonely back roads where others were at fault and where I was completely stupid. I try to learn from both.
    The only noise I consider essential for freedom emanates from the the rolling and flying stock of the brave soldiers in the Army, Navy, Air Force, Marines and Coast Guard.
    If you think the laws are unfair, change them. Until then, shine up your stock cans and bolt them back on or(since you’re all lawyers and doctors anyway) prepare to pay the fines.

15. temecula resident   April 9, 2009 at 1:18 am

I hope the bikers win. I have watched a drug house in my neighborhood for over 5 years never a cop never busted. I’ved called law enforcement nothing has ever been done but we can ticket for petty crap. Thats Temecula for ya. People don’t stress this is the American way to do things.

16. Jeff   April 28, 2009 at 6:31 pm

i’ve been riding bikes since ’91 and i pretty much give the peace sign to every bike that i come by. i can tell you for a matter of fact that hd rider’s are the biggest d icks if you aren’t their friends or riding another hd. for most of them, the pipes are obnoxiously loud and when they’re cruising together, they love to rev up the engine to here them sing. the problem is, they’re only concerned about themselves and the good time they’re having. they have no respect for what anybody else thinks, and certainly don’t care about anybody’s hearing. loud pipes are fine, but it is totally unnecessary to rev up the engine to blast the pipes. why is this so hard to understand??? as someone else already stated…loud pipes don’t save lives…good riding does. hd riders are similar to cagers because they think this way. they think that their loud pipes are going to save them and they sit back and try to look cool, and forget to stay alert, check their mirrors and stay out of blind spots. i could care less what you ride, but having respect for others should be up there on the list of things to do. when starting up your bikes, it’s totally unnecessary to rev up the engine repeatedly. it’s totally unnecessary to keep it in first gear and race to the stop sign. it’s true…bikers are probably the nicest people out there, but you have to know them to like them. if you don’t ride then you certainly have a biased opinion. what i hate the most are when the hd rider’s are stacked on the freeway not even doing the speed limit and clog up the flow. if you want to cruise that cool, but for god’s sake use the slow lane and let traffic move along with having to tip tow around.

17. Chad   June 17, 2009 at 2:00 pm

Big biker rally and concert in Old Town Temecula August 29
    behind the Stampede.
    Old Town is cool for us bikers and hasreally changed for the better.

18. jimbo   June 19, 2009 at 11:57 pm

take your business somewhere you whiners. you motorcycle people are the whinners. you have no respect for others but yourselves, how selfish. noise by the way is an environmental issue. a tip to rid society of disrespectful motorcyclists, use the epa label match up program. the muffler is supposed to have a tag on it that lists what type of bike it goes on and that it meets the noise levels. also check the muffler to ensure that the baffles have not been tampered with. no elaborate noise meter or testing required. also keep complaining and get others to do the same, it works sooner or later.

19. Jim   July 11, 2009 at 12:23 pm

You know they have a Rod Run in old town and you don’t see them getting tickets.

20. Old Town Rider   July 20, 2009 at 8:45 pm

Like it or not Old town will always be a biker town! it has all the ingredients for it…… shops, restaurants, bars and believe it or not cool people!!! I became a biker when I moved here from San Diego 10 years ago because I love to ride and enjoy the freedom of riding and let me tell you that I have met the coolest people ever… from the very educated to the not so educated! I too was pulled over a few months ago for loud pipes across the street from the bank on Front St. I was given the choice of getting cited for loud pipes or non DOT helmet… i chose the latter and it cost me $146. No wonder we are targeted, we are easy money!!! in any case, what’s for sure is that we need to keep riding where we care to and not let any one steer us away from what we are all about……… FREEDOM!!!! As a resident, i believe that the city of Temecula has realized the big mistake they did and now have allowed for the first ever Official Biker outing to take place on August 29th called the "helpride"!!! regardless of what non-bikers and closed minded bikers have to say…….. Temecula will always be a biker town…to those with loud pipes, non-dot helmets or loud stereos, fact of the matter is, if you ride a bike, Temecula is your destination!!!!!!!

21. Lil Ms Rkr.   July 21, 2009 at 4:44 pm

Im coming all the way from New Zealand to ride…I’ll be at this bike event on the 29th….Im just an outsider here..but having read all of the above…I’m a little confused…because I read this on another page…..
    "Now, police and motorcycle enthusiasts are working together to put on an Old Town festival benefiting families of law enforcement officers killed in the line of duty."

Now just how much help and support do they expect to get if they are treating these Motorcycle enthusiasts so harshly?
    If bikers are gonna unite for something…..dont you reckon a DIFFERENT cause might be more worthy?….Who’s got it wrong here?…The cops for their ill treatment of bikers?..or the bikers for supporting a cops event, after such ill treatment?……Hhhmmmm?……Sounds like a bit of a no brainer to me!…But I’ll see ya’ll there none the less!…Either gotta suck it up…or take a Stand next time and refuse to participate if its to benefit THEM!……Rock Onnn

22. jeanine   August 2, 2009 at 9:14 pm

I would like to voice my comments on the article

23. NotAHogger   August 12, 2009 at 12:08 am

I rode a cafe racer and I know the whole stigma attached to them as well as the road-oiling HDs. It’s just a profile they want to achieve as well as did I when I was young and immature.

The loudness of a Kerker on a Kawasaki at 10,000 RPM and full throttle is thrilling to me, but it has NO PLACE on city streets.

Same with ape hangers, flying colors and drug logos. They are all pushing the limits of respectability and ignorance. I say that if the pipes are illegal – it’s a Federal and California law and that’s the end of it.

The cops are only responding to the complaints and the whole Constitution is based on survival of the minorities – in this case those citizens who want no noise and less threatening behavior by a bunch of renegades who pump their egos by running loud and hard on small town streets.

I notice that nobody’s even mentioned that the newer pipes contain catalytic converters and that removing them and running illegally loud and non cat pipes is a detriment to anyone who likes to breathe – 5-year old or 75-year old.

24. SUZIE Q   September 3, 2009 at 6:25 pm

It seems that Temecula police have nothing to do but watch people for traffic violations. The Promenade Mall must not be doing well with their revenues so perhaps Temecula City needs some MOLA…. but they took it out from the residents of Temecula by watching them like a hawk on every street corners and giving out tickets left and right. I seen them all over. Police should be fighting crimes and drug dealings and not to watch Temecula residents like they are criminals.

Plezzz…. spare the good citizen of Temecula !

25. eddie o   October 4, 2009 at 12:18 am

I ve been a bike builder all my life and the pipes are all good with me and my group of friends …..keep it up and run your business away…hello..the motors are bigger and the sound is safe for the riders (for real)most people that complain just have never rode!and WE HAVE BIKES.we can go anywhere.by temecula..lets go over the hills to the ocean….much nicer…

26. Miss95   October 10, 2009 at 4:39 pm

Finally, the full-length book after what seemed like forever but was really only a couple a years. ,

27. BOUT TIME!   October 27, 2009 at 10:13 pm

GREAT JOB TEMECULA POLICE! KEEP RIGHTING THOSE TICKETS!

28. wildangel   November 13, 2009 at 12:25 am

I’ve been riding from the age of 15 and now am 59… I’ve seen bikes change and the love of riding grow. Each bike is unique by the vision of it’s owner… that includes the sound. When I hear the roar of pipes, a smile appears on my face and my head turns to see the one enjoying his/her time in the elements….. the stigma that bikers are troublesome is past news… todays bikers are responsible, hard working good citizens.. and should not be hassled by law enforcement.

29. shovel head   December 16, 2009 at 6:32 pm

when I lived in sun city I blasted my pipes and when I vist from nebraska Ill blast my pipes again in Tem. out here living the good life in nebraska where you can blast your pipes all the way to sturgis

30. Good for my ears   January 10, 2010 at 7:21 am

Feel free to blast those pipes somewhere else. I won’t miss having my ears ring from the excessive sound as I try to enjoy a meal, a walk or a drink in Old Town.

Boycott away loud bikers… and considerate bikers, let me be the first to buy you a coke!

31. shovel head   January 13, 2010 at 10:51 pm

Save that coke for one of your other yuppie friends. It blows my mind how simple some pepole are. And I’ll bet they annoy and bother more people than they think with their constant whining about a little noise. Loud pipes save lives.

32. sparky   January 15, 2010 at 11:12 pm

Check out the episode of South Park about bikers and Harleys. Nuiff said.

33. Joe American   February 10, 2010 at 2:58 pm

Hey Government, quit telling us how to live our lives. trying to idiot proof everything….
    I wont drive a scooter or honda..LOL
    Its become taxation without representation, and thats not fair..Read the bill of rights! and the constitution..
    its turning into a neutered communist country.
    Is this what the veterans of wars were fighting for?
    back when people had a backbone.. this country was a different place.. look what its become.. a bunch of liars and cheats in political office.. and now our coutry is bancrupt.. and getting loans from china.. frankly Im disgusted.. almost ashamed of being an american.. conceited, self-centered, unfeeling and unthinking.. armageddon must be coming soon..
    VOTE OUT ALL INCUMBENTS

up a crick.. and the government took my paddle
    and gave it to citibank and those other jerks goldman-sachs etc..
    reep those seeds you planted!

34. offrdjunkie   February 16, 2010 at 5:30 pm

well it seems riverside county has developed ways to get revenue from their residents,they have taken all of our off road riding spots and giving tickets to anyone riding,now they are giving tickets to motorcyclist,why dont we all just give up our hobbies and stay home and riverside county wont have anyone to write tickets to and they can go broke and die!

35. shovel head   February 16, 2010 at 8:37 pm

sparky thinks we are all fags ? He dont ride. Break down on the side the road some time. see If any yuppies stop for you. A biker will come from the other side of the freeway becase not only can he see you. He can hear you crying. blat … blat … blat…blat………………..

36. bill   March 4, 2010 at 1:18 pm

Good job Temecula police. Cars have to have mufflers, no reason why bikes shouldn’t. Harleys sound like crap anyway, kind of like a UPS truck with a hole in the muffler.

37. jj   March 22, 2010 at 8:47 am

Why don’t they go after the illegal aliens.

38. steve   June 2, 2010 at 7:36 am

I don’t think it’s just motorcycles. I saw at least 3 cops every time i left my house in Temecula over this past holiday weekend. Pechanga, Old Town & the Wineries bring revenue streams for the city & they hover over those areas like vultures. I don’t mind them keeping an eye out for drunk drivers, but this petty incessant ticketing is ridiculous & makes me want to move elsewhere.

39. HARLEY RIDER   June 3, 2010 at 6:24 am

I’ve been riding motorcycles for 40 years, I lived in Temecula before the city folks moved in and made it into that big city. We used to ride around town and the CHP’s and Sheriffs knew who we were by name, we were law abidding hard working bikers.
    The city folks moved out of their cities and brought the crime with them from L A and Organge county. The cops have no respect for anyone, race through the streets with no lights on, endangering everybody.
    By the way, I moved out of Temecula ……..

40. Corona Geezer   June 23, 2010 at 3:01 pm

Hey BIKERT and all the rest of you that think you are "above the law"…You all sound like a bunch of "protesting ILLEGAL Aliens" who don’t think our laws apply to them…
    I believe in "life, Liberty, and the pursuit of happiness" & we do live in the "land of the free" until you infringe on other peoples rights…Think about it—unless you are "brain dead"…
    As for Helmet Laws—I’m against them also BUT if you choose not to wear a helmet—by doing so you should automatically become an ORGAN DONOR…
    And yes, I ride—been riding 57 YEARS—peacefully…

41. shovel head   June 23, 2010 at 9:29 pm

free bird. …. Helmets. Believe In Yourself. Ride Fast Hard & Loud. So You Won’t Notice Other People. As You Can Read For Yourself . At The Top Of The Page. The Story Is. WHY I CAN’T BE FREE. WITH ALL YOU COPS AND YUPPIE ,,,, JACKING WITH ME. EAT S… & RIDE FREE FROM BRAIN DEAD ME……………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………

42. Rip   August 28, 2010 at 7:04 pm

The accumulative motorcycle ticket count should be public record. If it is requested they should be able to provide it. Just request it in writing from date to date and lets see how many motorcyclists were actually ticketed.

Semper Fi

43. Blksam   September 3, 2010 at 12:50 am

LOUD PIPES NEVER KILLED ANYONE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

44. barneyfife   September 24, 2010 at 9:35 am

Well, Temecula’s finest have made my decision for me. Old Town will no longer be a destination for me. So your merchants and restaurants will lose out on the $$$ I drop in your fine little minded burg a couple of times a month.

45. LMAO   September 24, 2010 at 9:38 am

If you idiot Sons of Anarchy wannabees weren’t trying to show everbody how big and bad you were by making all the noise you can there wouldn’t be a problem here.

46. MC Patcholder   September 24, 2010 at 9:57 am

These loud pipe idiots think they are sooo cool. But the bottom line is they are being nothing but disrespectful. There is no reason for the drag race mentatlity at the signal or stop. It’s not necessary to sit a rev your motor so everyone takes notice. There is a time and place for everything.
    I have never been hassled about my pipes (or helmet either) and I have an outlaw mc patch on my back! Learn to behave yourselves and you wont get your hand slapped.

47. barneyfife   September 24, 2010 at 10:01 am

I guess Temecula better cancel the Rod Run they have in Old Town every year.

48. shovel head   September 27, 2010 at 5:24 pm

hog ?

49. Mike from Riverside   October 14, 2010 at 7:56 am

To Mike from Murrietta. Have you read the crap your writing. There are some motorcyclist that create problems on the road ways but there are far more drivers not paying attention that create most of these accidents.
    When was the last time you did anything for your community or to help a given charity. Lame bikers do this on a weekly basis. For what ever reason you lump all motorcycle owners into the One Percenter Class. Grow up and allow all of us to have the same rights as you.

50. Tom McGiffin   October 30, 2010 at 9:13 am

Another reason that I will NOT ride in or to Temecula….there are many more places to ride to that do not hassel the bikers. I am in agreement to BOYCOT TEMECULA. We WILL take our business elsewhere

51. Rider-X   November 19, 2010 at 12:08 pm

Ok! it looks like (dav) comment # 8 is one of them drivers that swerve at bikers and yes riding classes are a good thing, but don’t be a complete fool! loud pipes do save lives, many times while i’m in my truck, i’ve heard a bike long before i’ve seen them, i would call a safety tool!
    I ride a bike with stock pipes and at times, vehicle drivers do not see me! and as far as the white-line riders. more bikes are hit while sitting behind a car in traffic (except the ones that are heard) so get over the fact that your sitting in traffic while the biker is still moving.
    as far as big-G you sound like an old fart. i do agree that some pipes are too loud i’ve driven behind bikes that hurt my ears, yes sounds like open headers.
    but i say safety first, so dont talk smack unless you ride and have a better understanding of the road!

52. rider   December 24, 2010 at 9:32 am

Money grab, no less. Let’s see them round up the day laborers on Front St. It won’t happen because their’s no money in it. Riders, let’s forget about Temecula, no benefits for the back stabbers and go elsewhere. There are still plenty of places to spend our hard EARNED money.

53. CONCERNED CORONA CITIZEN   December 30, 2010 at 1:22 pm

I SAY BOYCOTT TEMECULA AND THE ROD RUN SINCE THEY ARE JUST AS BIG OFFENDERS. ALL THE MERCHANTS WILL BE CRYING THEN WHEN THIER OVER PRICED ITEMS DON’T GET SOLD.TEMECULA YOU CAN KEP YOUR WINE AIR BAQLLONS AND HIGH PRICED ITEMS. THIER ARE PLENTY OF OTHER AND NICER TOWNS THAT WANT OUR BUSINESS. BOYCOTT, BOYCOTT, BOYCOTT AND I WILL BE LOL, LOLO, LOL, LOL, LOL, LOL,HA, HA, HA, HA…..

54. Marco   February 23, 2011 at 5:52 pm

Good for the Tem PD and any other law enforcement that crack down on this nonsense. I am an avid off-road motorcycle rider and they have been testing us for years. And that is for riding in the middle of the desert for Gods sake. I have several

55. Blksam   March 9, 2011 at 10:29 pm

Any town that does not want bikes on their streets will get what they wish for.We will take our money elsewhere.These motorcycle only checkpoints are a violation of our civil rights.I do however feel that the real problem are the mental midgets who rev their loud bikes just to be heard.These idiots are usually the turds with 5000 miles on their 17 year old bike.The few times they are out on their bike,they want to make sure everyone knows they are there.They have open pipes that make their bike run like s#%t on the bottom end.They leave their garage door open so everyone knows they got a "HARLEY".They have H.D. stickers on everything they own.Posers dressed like pirates.The real motorcycle riders ride.No noise shows,no "HARLEYWEEN" costume.We come to have a good time,not annoy the locals.If you are pulled into a checkpoint,contact a lawyer,ABATE,or the AMA.

56. Mike from Murrieta   March 13, 2011 at 11:38 am

Mike from Riverside: There are and have always been careless drivers on the road. Assuming that everyone on the road will always be alert and looking out for motorcyclists zig-zagging in and out of lanes is just wishful thinking. You can’t regulate awareness! So, now I gotta go out and volunteer at a homeless shelter or give to the Salvation Army just because I made a few unsettling comments about bikers? They’re just comments! You still have the same rights you always did!

57. NewRider   April 5, 2011 at 12:55 am

I understand the issues of loud motorcycles and also the concerns of the motorist who drive a 4 wheeled vehicle. It didn’t take much time to figure it out either.
    There is a slogan "Loud pipes save lives." It isn’t intended only for the motocycle riders life for not being noticed and suddenly hit and possibley killed. It is intended for the driver of the car or truck that hit the motorcyclist too.
    When an accident happens the person who accidentally caused the accident also suffers. Loud motorcyles are just another way to get noticed much like the siren to an emergency vehicle comming onto your blind spot.

58. Motorcycle Pride   April 13, 2011 at 4:57 pm

What a Mayor that Mike Nagger is! “Everyone is welcome who complies with the law.”

I think it is amazing that a cop can sit on the side of the road and simply “say” you are breaking the noise ordnance, and ticket your for it. Unbelievable. I hink it is time to organize a nice 200-300 bike parade right through the center of town.

59. silence=peace   July 13, 2011 at 4:26 pm

big ron you are the idiot and i’m sure have a small one

60. Lieutenant John, EFD (retired)   August 7, 2011 at 3:48 am

I ride a Harley, but I don’t have loud pipes. I believe that other people have the right to peace and quiet, just like I do. Some of you belive it is your right to make loud noises under the guise of safety. Other people have the right to silence also. Your rights must be tempered by the rights of others. Rights are few but privileges are many. Maybe some of us need to learn the differences. Laws are made and acted upone to protect the many, not the few. Tolerance by the police and compromise by the biker is called fore here so all can exist together and make Old Town the great destination it is.

61. Tea party hrly   August 13, 2011 at 10:42 am

Maybe us bikers need to ride more with cops. When they get pulled over for loud pipes the ticket writing cops let’s us all go free cause we were with a off duty officer. Hypocrites? Ride hard my fellow bikers, enjoy your freedom while we still have it. Land of the free? Not in California. My loud bike has saved my life more than once from preoccupied drivers.We need to all ride up to the steps of our state capital and demand our rights. This state should worry about our 14 billion deficit.

62. CA LAW SUX   August 20, 2011 at 6:53 pm

Loud Pipes save lives. People here us b4 they see us. THIS IS A GOOD THING.

63. shelbygirl   August 24, 2011 at 8:57 pm

Wow, I have to say, what can we do anymore.. Bikes too loud, give me a break!!! Honestly if all you complainers really don’t like noise and are bothered so much, Pismo Beach, Morro bay, Mexico are all good places for you to go.. Give it a rest,, I don’t have a bike, I like bikes, I love the noise.. Hotrods, Nascar, dirtbikes, harley’s, streetbikes, that’s America and has been.. You have your good cops and your attitude cops.. So let it go people, seriously all these hotrodding, bike riding fellas all bring your town business and good business, for all of us it’s a way to unwind, go for a ride or a cruise and relax… If you want to get pissed at someone, how about all the drunk snots from Bear Creek, LaCresta and Canyon Lake… Hmmm just in 2 months. 2 fatalities on Clinton Keith, Both drunk drivers, 1 motorcyclist killed and 1 innocent elderly man on his way home to his wife.. So pull your big boy panties up and leave the bikers alone huh???

64. Kathryn   September 30, 2011 at 11:28 am

My husband has a motorcycle. I love it. There are a lot of stupid people out there. I don’t care if they have a bike or not. Too many people think that since they have a need to be somewhere they should put your life in danger. I HATE it when I am going 73ish and a bike cuts between me and the person in the next lane. It is dangerous for them and me. My husband does not drive like that. I have been on the rode and watched him drive his bike. He didn’t know I was there until we got home later. I Would LOVE to have the police ticket and take the bike of each one of those people. Our next door neighbors had 5 bikes, they moved. I was so happy! Every morning at 5 am the would rev their bikes and wake up our family. TOO loud.

65. RICKF   November 9, 2011 at 8:20 am

I have been riding and racing motorcycles for 40 years, I ride off-road weekly and I commute to work (63 mi each way) daily on my street bike. I happen to ride a sport touring bike because I needed something that would turn and stop.
    Many of us in or connected to the motorcycle business have been saying for years that the excessively loud aftermarket pipes mostly on cruisers (not just Hardly Ablesons) are going to eventually ruin it for everyone.
    ‘Loud pipes save lives’ is a myth. How many of you kool-aid drinkers that believe that loud pipes warn the people ahead are willing to aim your pipes forward to direct more of the noise forward towards the threat? Hmmm? I mean, it’s a safety issue, right?
    Another fact is most straight-pipe designs actually reduce low to mid-range power for reasons to complicated to get into here.
    A well-designed exhaust can be pleasing to the ear, still produce stock or better power and not be an annoyance to the rest of the public who are not motorcyle enthuiasts.
    I’m glad to see more bikes on the road, it is a immediate solution to congestion, fuel consumption and wear and tear on our roads.
    Or are you a weekend badazz poser who just wants to make noise and ride too close to each other clogging up the road?

Daily Rider

66. temecula cops   December 6, 2011 at 6:38 pm

My friends were driving through old town and a cop pulled us over for playing loud music and we did not even have music on!!!!!!! cops not only profile bikers but teenagers too for no reason. we left my friends house and were just gonna go buy some fast food and we had not played any music the whole drive. police officers in this town are just bullies who abuse their power.

67. Vic   September 16, 2012 at 10:07 am

Temecula used to stand for frontier new town country …. now it is just another place. I hope the bikers dont stop riding up 371 because I feel it is a form of entertainment that is free and available for our fellow citizens. I dont mind the motorcycle noise off the hwy because it is only mostly weekends. Visitors always bring business even if it is a single pop purchase or a water. As long as chaos is not developing leave the folks to be. Ive seen cars and trucks trying to over run the bikes. I think there should be tickets for inconsiderate drivers who place people in danger. As for the very loud noise, guys, gals, you dont need to deafen me to impress me. I do agree with tickets for a no buffered tail pipe because that is just unnecessary.

68. Fed up   September 19, 2012 at 10:33 am

It’s always refreshing when a police force actually enforces the law. If the pipes are too loud, put the stock, legal, ones back on and quit complaining. Good job Police!

69. bootleggerSam   November 29, 2012 at 12:33 pm

been in the area 40+ years. bikes have always been here, next they will have to go like the dairy farms (the cow smell it stinks) the complainers just need to quit or move out.

70. Fgh   April 15, 2013 at 4:50 pm

Who cares? I just want to know why I can’t have my car loud yet the guy with the bike can shake my whole car at idle. I don’t care if you have loud stuff but it’s unfair to car owners! We need to ban together car enthusiasts and get the bikers to fight for our rights to have loud vehicles!!

71. Yrrighttonoiseendsatmyears   May 31, 2013 at 10:51 am

Loud pipes have no studies to correlate the lie bikers say that it saves lives. Even the CEO of Harley states that wear loud colors to be scene.

72. Ttowner   August 29, 2013 at 4:28 pm

RIDE ON FELLOW BROTHERS !!

73. JanTemeculasnc79   December 2, 2013 at 2:57 am

Ive lived here since 79 and Temecula is a good place, and allot of it is from the police being on top of things. BUT…I myself have been lets say detained by the police, a single PTA parent who drives an Infiniti, then it seemed once I got pulled over and they knew my car..it was on. and on …and on. Our town was once a ghost town, and it could be again. I mean these bikers, and hot rods, and tourist come to us and spend their money and by word of mouth say how much they enjoyed themselves here in Temecula…then others come. And SERIOUSLY if all you have to do is complain about loud Harleys, consider yourself lucky. Cause I know a lot of others out there with bigger things to worry about, and you know exactly what Im talking about. My neighbor is a huge biker, loud bikes…doesnt bother me, and you know what…my boys never ever wake up from their sleep…And he is the most respectful, nicest, considerate person I have ever met and I give Thanks that he is my neighbor. And not only him for example, but I havent passed by, held the door open for, and even just walked by any one biker who hasnt had respect and decency. My God people really, lets worry about the big sht going on out there. And by the way I feel the loudness is a type of safety for them, sure their as cautious as one can be..I mean its their lives..right? But then their are some dumb @$$s out there that dont pay attention and dont look over their shoulder, that their cautious gets trumped by their dumb @$$s. You get it? One can be cautious, but sometimes it doesnt matter when your next to an idiot. So I will take a few seconds of loudness over losing a fellow human being. Pick and choose your battles, this one is weak..we should be respecting not ticketing. Hey, here’s an idea…let’s spend more time ticketing the people ripping off our car sterios or the losers at the casino who are just waiting for you to drop your wallet or take your ticket, or maybe those folks that think your stuff is their stuff too..so they use or just take it. Or crap I say even before bikers let’s get those that don’t hold doors open for their elders…the one’s that have no manners, no respect, no morals and probley no money. They dont keep Temecula on the map, THE BIKERS DO. Respect isnt hard to do and its free. We need to respect the right people..not the wrong ones. Thanx, Sincerely, JanTemeculasnc79

74. RLDR   January 20, 2014 at 10:26 am

Really Though some of this sure seems like Harrassing Bikers When I moved here 4 yrs ago I had A Temecula Pd on a bike Look @ me all weird I was going 31 mph on Pechanga pkwy posted 45 mph and he pointed his radar gun at me and as I passed him gave a nasty look that told me they don’t like bikes up here No Loud pipes do not really save lives its been proven in an article of motorcyclist But I think in some cases I think its ok to make a little more noise to be heard before you’re seen But in all fairness everyone is out there to enjoy a good meal or just browse the shops and see the sights you don’t need to be revving like you’re gonna race. I was at a Biker rally and some Bikers Rolled up that were affiliated and were Revving like crazy to get attention I think this is what most people want to avoid and unfortunately it causes stereo typing for all riders.
    KEEP IT CIVILIZED AND RESPECT ALL OTHERS IS ALL THAT NEEDS TO BE DONE

75. When Temecula was Great   February 7, 2014 at 5:10 pm

First City of Tem screwed up the Rod Run, hosted by "Early Times Car Club", by advertising and creating a out of control bunch of non car enthusiast’s who went crazy because TPD started the same type of bullying. Early Times left us for Hemet Ryan. Now the Rod Run is a commercial whatever!
    Now looks as if the civilized bikers are getting the same BS!
    TPD especially that short motor cop needs an attitude adjustment!

76. WhenTemeculawasGreat   February 7, 2014 at 5:13 pm

Now looks as if the civilized bikers are getting the same BS!
    TPD especially that short motor cop needs an attitude adjustment!

77. Dave   March 10, 2014 at 11:13 am

If the Temecula police need to raise money by giving tickets, why not leave the bike alone and start giving tickets to those on cell phones and running red lights? Those are the one that cause deaths not noise from a bike. I have never been at the stop light at Winchester and yenez without seeing at least one or two run every light, and many of those on are the cell phone. I ride a bike and I have lost count of the times I have had to move out of the way or stop to keep from getting hit from fools in cars on the phone. And if they then see you the response is that you should watch where you are and its not their problem. Do a sting on red lights and cell phones and you could cut taxes from all the extra money. It would also be much safer riding for all.

78. Neighbor   July 16, 2014 at 4:52 pm

Good, About time, This is the greatest news ever.

79. Luison   October 27, 2014 at 7:50 am

So a few old town merchants, (friends of the city council members) call in and get two motorcycle officers that could have been patrolling the very dangerous intersections where folks are blowing through red lights like its a video game. Better get those darn bikers, the noise may kill you LoL

80. Big G   February 1, 2015 at 2:54 pm

I think it is about time the police started regulating the noise. I know if I drove my hot rod around town with open headers I would surely get a ticket, but the bikers never did until now. Temecula Police keep up the good work!

81. BIG RON   February 1, 2015 at 2:54 pm

bIG g. YOU REALLY DON’T KNOW WHAT YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT. iF YOU WANT QUIET, MOVE TO LEASURE WORLD. THAT IS THE SOUND OF AMERICANNA, VETERNS RETURNING FROM OVERSEAS WANT TO TAKE A RIDE WITH THEIR FRIENDS, NOT GET HASSELED. PEOPLE OFTEN HEAR US ON THE HIGHWAY BEFORE THEY SEE US, IT IS A SAFETY MATTER, IDIOT.

82. American Motorcycle Associaiton (AMA) # 224390   February 1, 2015 at 2:54 pm

Loud pipes risk rights.

Albeit, there are so many licenced motoristists that are willing to forgo their motorized rights to understand the db law and proper law enforcement procedure.

Seems communication (Between parties) on the California Vehicle Code (CDF)
    has been dimissed? Ie: Street bike db test?

Not off road db test, or military db test.

This is not a question. This is a fact of CVC.

froget basic training and testing from the State of California for their DMV license that th

83. roadkill   February 1, 2015 at 2:54 pm

if vehicle noise is already covered by state law then if should also apply to motorcycles. I cant believe they are loading bikes on to flat beds for supposed noise violations!! Paper Plezzzz
    Welcome to Temecula Germany. Ask the other towns how this is working out for them. Already Myrtle is back peddling. You would think in the days of down economies towns would behave better, or is this your new revenue generating machine???

84. Steve   February 1, 2015 at 2:54 pm

I don’t think the Valley News painted an accurate picture of what’s going on. First, this ticketing craze has been going on for a year now, not just the last month. The "biker boycott" has been going on for just as long, and is hurting local businesses.

The Chief of Police is actually trying to reverse the situation, saying that his officers misinterpreted his original orders, and went overboard on the ticketing. He has actually told his officers to back off, and use more discretion before pulling over motorcycles.

Cops had such a ticketing frenzy worked up, that they were pulling over entire groups of motorcycles, even if they were not making loud noise, and finding any kind of reason to ticket them. One biker told the owner of Swing Inn Cafe, that the cop said, "Your kind are not welcome in Temecula".

That’s when Rauton and Muir got on the ball, and called up the Chief of Police, the city council, and city manager, and made them reverse the situation. Now, the Chief of Police is trying to get the word out to everyone, that they want all the bikers to come back to Temecula.

Valley News also misreported this guy "ElSexton". He was cited for "non-original exhaust", not "loud custom exhaust". That’s significant, because ElSexton did not have loud pipes. Temecula cops do not have decibel meters to prove that. They simply look at a biker go by, and make a judgement call, and then bust them for something else. That’s the problem the Chief of Police is trying to fix with his officers.

85. Springs   February 1, 2015 at 2:54 pm

It’s silly for bikers who ride with illegal pipes to complain about being ticketed for their violation of the law. All motor vehicles operated on a public way are required to have proper mufflers and bikers aren’t, quite rightly, an exception. All motorcycles sold in the United States since 1983 are required to have an Environmental Protection Agency noise compliance label attached to the chassis at the factory and a matching label engraved on the muffler. It’s a violation of federal law to replace the factory muffler with one that lacks the label or to modify the factory muffler to make more noise. In 2007, the city of Denver enacted a motorcycle noise ordinance based on the EPA label system. If an officer hears a loud bike, the bike is pulled over and the usual check for a driver’s license, registration, inspection sticker and insurance is done. In addition the officer inspects the muffler for the EPA label and it it’s missing, that’s the violation. A ticket is written and the biker has two weeks to bring the machine into compliance or pay a $500 fine. This method eliminates the need for an expensive noise meter and training in its proper use.

86. Glacier   February 1, 2015 at 2:54 pm

Way to go Slap’n Leather for sticking up for our Brothers and Sister riders out there. We are coming to Temecula cause it is a neat destination town . We enjoy the quaint town with some neat shops. But if you have looked around lately and seen all the for rent signs around, and the for lease signs up and down Front street, it makes you wonder how much business is being run out of town by some of the similiar actions !!! If it was not for the bike people that comes into Temecula on the weekends, it would be a ghost town !! They are there to have a sandwich, or buy some goods or just to walk around !! They are there to be seen on there Magnificent Machines that they have put there hard earned money into and to which they are very proud of. THEY ARE NOT IN OLD TOWN TO BE HARRASSED!!!!!!!!!!!! Back off
    CITY people before you have to add the word GHOST to Old Town Front Street!! Those FOR RENT signs seem to be multipling everyday !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

87. dav   February 1, 2015 at 2:54 pm

Loud pipes do not equal SAFETY! Defensive riding equals safety. So ringing out the engine on surface streets with loud pipes is being safe? Really?
    I guess splitting lanes at 40-50 MPH is being safe too. Motorcycle riders basically don’t want to play nice on the streets, they want to make up rules exclusive to them and no one else.

88. Steve   February 1, 2015 at 2:54 pm

Hey BIG RON you should see how my 5 year old gets frightened and clings to me when one of those noise buckets goes screaming by in OT. The speed limit is only 25 MPH. You need to fit into society, not the other way around.

89. J C   February 1, 2015 at 2:54 pm

when the merchants of our city find themselves without the means to pay the rent maybe they will stop wineing and just go away. Then we will get our town back and be able to enjoy our rides. till then boycot temecula,and their f-up code enforcement.roadkill is right show me z papers.hot rods and bikes not welcome my butt lets all show up down town for bike week 24th thru 26th. remember hollister.

90. bikerk   February 1, 2015 at 2:54 pm

Some of you guys just don’t get it. Profiling by the police is against the law. Nazi organizations like the EPA are trying to rule your lives, by any stupid means they can come up with. Your rights as a citizen of this country are being taken away and you all stand around like sheep and let it happen. Noise is not an environmental issue. Unless you are some socialist/communist jerk who thinks that your precious life will be affected by it. Why would you all stand by and let the EPA, police, and socialist citizens take away your basic right of life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness? Why do we let the few dictate to the many? I hate what we have let our government do to us. If you set aside all the things you current think and take yourself back 50 years, it wouldn’t even occur to the majority that you could let a gov agency dictate such a nazi law. It sickens my soul to see such a thing happen in the "land of the free". Welcome to the Socialist State of California!

91. Dirt   February 1, 2015 at 2:54 pm

The group I ride with got pulled over on Labor day weekend, just after leaving the Wine and Beer Garden (We were all sober) we weren’t given any tickets but were detained by 11 cops (9 cars) in the parking lot of the AM/PM for about 45 minutes. There were only 3 of us.

On the 4th of July a buddy was detained for over an hour. (Again, no ticket)

This is the reason we no longer spend our time OR OUR MONEY in Old Town. Unless more of the business owners step up to the plate, we’ll continue to go other places to spend money.

92. TC-HOGETT   February 1, 2015 at 2:54 pm

Temecula is over the top with its cops, It seems on any given day you will see at least 3 cops just getting off the 15 and traveling only 2 miles to my home. THERE everywhere, just sitting and a waiting for anyone to do anything. I think they should spend more time by Pechanga and getting all the drunks. How about some dui check points on the parkway. How about patrolling our neighborhoods and our schools. Find something more constructive to do with our money than taking away the revenue that our town needs. Not all bikers are (THAT KIND) WE are just out enjoying our bikes.

93. JC   February 1, 2015 at 2:54 pm

also have a comment for steve,take your 5 year old back to orange county, or get him a bike, take him/her to the track and let them see the fun they have been missing.

94. RUSerious?   February 1, 2015 at 2:54 pm

Come on people, this isn’t about loud pipes, this is about Profiling and you know it. Whether the noise level is against the law, or whether or not the cops are just abiding by the law, let’s really look at what is going on here.
    If the police pull over everyone (including those hot rod cars and rice burner motorcycles) then we don’t have a problem, but when the only people that get even pulled over are the Harley owners then we have a problem. For those of you who complain about the loudness for whatever reason, grow up! You have loud trucks on the interstate, you have loud lawn mowers in your neighborhood, for goodness sake! You’ll find loud noises everywhere that you don’t complain about. I’ll bet the guy that said his poor little daughter is scared from the noise is the same guy that will take his daughter to the fireworks on the fourth of July and see’s her being scared from it too, but he still sit’s there and watches them with the noise…double standard?
    In Oakland, the motorcycle police insisted on having their HD motorcycles equipped with loud pipes because they do save lives. As they say, "people hear us coming now." So let’s see, the police can do it but we can’t?
    The Chief of Police himself stated "I ride a Harley myself. Most of my officers ride bikes," but I guarantee they ride with modified pipes but won’t give themselves or even their fellow officer a ticket! Double standard?
    And when the Mayor Mike Nagger said "Everyone is welcome who complies with the law," was saying that he never once broke any law and that is why he is welcome here but not us? What? Are you serious Mr. Mayor? You and your police never once broke any law? I’ll beg to differ because as an ex-cop, I know that the police are the biggest law breakers out there! Double standard?
    And as a Mayor, you should consider all your constituents and you might find that a large of Harley riders aren’t the typical outlaw gangs anymore…they are doctors, lawyers, military, and average Joe that vote!
    Wake up! Pay attention to the things that all you complain about and think for a minute…did I ever break any law…even speeding? If you did and hadn’t gotten caught, good for you, but don’t complain about some else that you feel is different, because it’s not! Double standard?
    Its bad enough that we are allowing our government to take away our freedom by making us where seatbelts, or helmets on a bicycle (not motorcycle), or "loud pipes", or non-DOT helmet, or whatever else you cows refuse to stand up for! Next thing you know, you won’t be able to listen to a radio/music in your car when driving!
    Believe me, I was afraid of the loud noises when I was a kid, and so were you! Don’t use this as an excuse, use it as part of growing up and understanding that loud noises won’t hurt you. I welcome the loud motorcycles because I know sometimes when I was driving I almost hit not only a motorcylce rider but other cars because I didn’t see them coming, but when I hear them, I take another look and save myself from an accident. The problem here is you know this probably happened to you too!
    Biker K has made some excellent points and you all should take a good look at what we are saying. What happened to "All men are created equal?" Does this only count for people that abuse the system and don’t get caught? Double standard?
    We’ve all (including the Mayor) have borken the law in one way or another, so get off your high horse and leave those on the iron horse alone!

95. Ticketed unfairly   February 1, 2015 at 2:54 pm

The police in Temecula are way out of hand. While exiting the freeway at 79S off the 15 I was pulled over by an officer who was set up right on the street. He ticketed me for not coming to a complete stop at the light at end of the off ramp before turning right on the red.
    IT’S A NO RIGHT ON RED LIGHT!
    I drive this route everyday and endure idiots honking at me when I won’t turn right on the red.
    I had a green light as did the cars in front of me, to the side and behind me.
    So how do you fight this kind of crap when the city wants money?
    Since the only people who can afford a HD are lawyers, anyone want to find out how much ticketing has gone up in our town?
    This when I get run off the road or passed by idiots every day but they never get pulled ove.r

96. Murrieta Mike   February 1, 2015 at 2:54 pm

Why do bikers insist on congregating in Old Town?? Take that noise to Hemet or something?? Good for the cops!! I hope the bikers do boycott the area? It’ll be nice to go out and not only …Not see them, but not hear them!!!

97. jc   February 1, 2015 at 2:54 pm

We have the freedom to congregate where we wish Mike.6 years in the USMC gave me that right. If you dont like it stay in murrieta

98. jasper   February 1, 2015 at 2:54 pm

I have lived in this area for 30 + years, and I never liked going to Temecula. I too ride. Noise is a matter of what one thinks it is. The police is only on personal judement with no formal training on a db meder. I spent two years in noiseabatement training and I fine noise level in town is higher in meetings at a contuious level. I will always tell my group riders to stay away.

99. Steve   February 1, 2015 at 2:54 pm

Thank goodness the police are protecting us… I wonder how many real crimes were committed while they were plowin through doughnuts waiting for a bike to come by…

100. Karl   February 1, 2015 at 2:54 pm

LOUD PIPES SAVE LIVES-ALWAYS HAVE & ALWAYS WILL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

101. jc what   February 1, 2015 at 2:54 pm

oooh, 6 years in the Marines. Wow, I’m impressed. Not. At least going to Murrieta you won’t have to worry about the ticket-crazy cops. Anything for a buck since foreclosures don’t bring the city any money. It must be PRETTY bad if they have to resort to ticketing for anything.

102. Jim   February 1, 2015 at 2:54 pm

Many bikers will deny it, but they use those pipes as weapons. They seem to get off on blowing out ear drums.
    I saw an episode of Jesse James’ show where he was getting off on aiming the pipes right at the drivers side window of any car unlucky enough to find themselves next to him.
    I wish Murrieta would get in on the act. Profiling and dB meters?! Uh, it doesn’t take much in the common sense dept. to hear a bike that’s too loud.
    Kudos to Temecula; come on Murrieta time to follow suit!

103. lori   February 1, 2015 at 2:54 pm

i have lived in the temecula/murrieta area since 1986. i have gone through old town many times and i have never once been disturbed by any of the bikers and their so called "noise". i am not a bike owner myself, but i know that the people who ride their bikes to old town to spend a day of shopping and eating at any of the restaurants are brining in revenue to the city of temecula. and during our economic crisis i would consider this being a welcome sight to the city as well as the shop owners in old town. so maybe everyone should look at the whole picture of what the bikers are doing for temecula. and keeping people employed. think about the single parents who have to work two jobs just to make ends meet for their families. take away from people who are coming to temecula to shop and eat you are taking jobs away from others, because businesses are closing every day and people are losing jobs every day. so that comment would really be for you too murrieta mike!!!!! why take it to hemet and give them the revenue!??

i have never ever once since 1986 seen a biker being unruley or causing any problems. they are their to enjoy a much needed day off, a day of freedom on their bike and a day to visit with fellow riders who enjoy the same passion.

i see nothing wrong with the police officers going through town themselves to patrol and keep an eye out for the town, but to segregate bikers from any one else is wrong and if people don’t like the noise from the bikes, why do they enjoy the rod runs so much? why do they not complain when hot rods come through town??

get real people…think of the economy and remember…we are all proud to be americans and live in a country where we are free to enjoy ourselves and ride our harleys or drive our hot rods and not be bothered by the few that don’t like the noise.

i might add, out of the 22 comments only 4 are people complaining about the "noise". what does that tell you!!?? it only bothers a few…not many!!!!!

104. Slap'n Leather   February 1, 2015 at 2:54 pm

Carl and I (Ron) want to thank our riding brothers and sisters for your support of us on this issue of Profiling Motorcycles. The city is indeed listening and are frankly afraid of us organizing and officially boycotting, lets say, the Promanade mall for the Christmas months of November and December. Your blogs are well written and ARE BEING HEARD. Please be couteous when riding through town, and stop by and see us. Ride Free. Ron

105. Grumpy MC   February 1, 2015 at 2:54 pm

I’ve been reading all the comments as they been coming in. I have a business building custom hotrods and motorcycles.All my customers enjoy the sound their rod or bike makes when cruising the highways or through town. The sound is a American icon whether it be a 1930 model "A" with a built flathead or a brand new Harley. It’s the sound of power that drives us. Remember when we were all kids and loved the sound of that speeding freight train,well we never grew up and these are our trains.I ride a bike every day and visit old town several times a week I have baffled drag pipes that are loud when you open it up and a nice rumble when cruising. My 11 month old grandson knows when grandpa’s coming to see him. I’ve never seen any one zooming through Old Town. That’s impossible because it’s always crowded. I think we are some of safest drivers on the road. We don’t talk on cell phones, eat cheeseburgers or put on makeup while driving. We have to be aware of that vehicle beside us, in front or behind us. I checked the current CVC book today and a motorcycle 1986 and newer can be at 80 DBR. That’s almost as loud as that freight trains’ horn. these are the facts. Ride hard and Ride long and God Bless America.

106. Dirty Dave   February 1, 2015 at 2:54 pm

Its all about shooting the fat hog. ( no pun intended) The city wants in on all the action in oldtown, so we are forced to pay the extorsion. Some of my brothers were recently shook down in Lake Elsinore and they fought every helmet & exhaust ticket and they won. I think if we all boycott old town they will be begging us back. Slap N Leather , keep us posted on this. We would be glad to help. Stay in the wind…..

107. to: RUSerious:   February 1, 2015 at 2:54 pm

I have never heard a car or "rice burner" as loud as most Harley’s that ride in this area. Are you serious?

108. lori   February 1, 2015 at 2:54 pm

ruserious…i have heard cars and rice burners louder than a harley. many times i have sat at a light and a rice burner comes hauling butt between cars and the noise scares the crap out of me. and i have sat next to cars that rumble so much my truck vibrates. i have never been startled by a harley. and yes, there are some harleys that are loud, but going through old town they aren’t loud. they are just humming through since old town traffic is always at a slow move!!!

109. Mike   February 1, 2015 at 2:54 pm

Great comments, ALL of you. Free speech is a right and going on all around us.

My take on this is that Old Town isn’t the big issue. The real issue is Temecula and its police force.

Don’t just boycott Old Town, take all of your business outside of Temecula.

Don’t put on any runs that stop in Temecula and don’t support any runs in Temecula.

Tell HD and all the other shops in Temecula why you are taking your business to other towns and get your parts online. And tell your friends and be sure they tell their friends.

Write your biker magazines and papers and websites and pass the word.

If you live in Temecula, write your city council and your chamber of commerce.

Remember, it isn’t hard to take your business elsewhere. If you ride, the longer the ride the better.

Ride safe. See you in the wind.

110. Slap'n Leather   February 1, 2015 at 2:54 pm

Thanks Mike for your ideas. The thing that is problematic about suggesting a boycott of all Temecula is that the results will be diffused and the city council will just say it’s the economy. Imagine if the Promonade mall starts calling the Council and complaining that THEIR sales are down drastically because of the Councils Profiling of motorcycles. THEY WILL LISTEN to these big retailers, not so much to us little guys. Again, thanks for your pro-action on this issue, people who don’t ride just don’t understand the love and freedom we feel when we are in the wind. Perhaps they will now. Ride Free. Ron
    P.S. Be looking for an article in the Californian that will be comming on this story.

111. Slap'n Leather   February 1, 2015 at 2:54 pm

Hey Mike maybe i can come an move in with you, cause my whole life is in this business. So doing what you suggest, i will lose my house and my dream. There is a lot at stake in all this. The city will keep going!! I am sure the police will keep going, but the business owners that you are suggesting to boycott out of Temecula will be the one to suffer. Maybe your employer will let you work 40-60 hours a week , but cut you a paycheck for 5 hours of pay. Hey Mike think about that!! We are talking about trying to keep business in Temecula and we are fighting to keep it here. That includes sticking up for our Brothers and Sisters that come to us for there needs!! Thanks for your time!!!

112. Vinny   February 1, 2015 at 2:54 pm

My husband, a retired NY Firefighter, and I fell in love with Temecula while visiting our son and moved here a little over a year ago. We were so impressed with this beautiful city and all the wonderful things to enjoy here–like wine country, the parks, mall and–our favorite–Old Town. As Harley riders we were very happy to find a Harley Owners’ Group at Quaids so that we could join with other bikers who love to ride and promote charity events. We were heartbroken to learn that the City of Temecula has declared "war on Bikers" and has been singling them out to receive tickets when they try to visit Old Town. The issue seems to be the fact that some merchants are offended by pipes they consider "too loud"! Perhaps they are unaware that most motorists are so busy dialing their cell phones, texting or playing with their boom boxes that they are often too distracted to notice motorcycles around them. We have been cut off and nearly killed on several occasions by these distracted motorists especially in Old Town where they are relaying the sights to friends via their cell phones!! Why isn’t the City Council or the Police concerned about protected us from them?? I have yet to hear of anyone being killed or injured by loud pipes but I have heard of many bikers being killed and injured by distracted motorists using cell phones! We don’t have very loud pipes but hope that at least they are loud enough to be heard by those drivers whose eyes are on their phones and not the road. We and mostly all of the riders we know are very considerate when riding near pedestrians and horses and would never use our bikes to be disrespectful or inconsiderate of those around us. We are very sad that we can no longer ride through our beautiful Old Town because of this harrassment and we are ashamed that our beloved City of Temecula would single out bikers for harrassment just because of the complaints of a few merchants. Do they have any idea how much money these bikers were bringing to Old Town by eating, shopping and supporting activities? What about the friends we used to invite to show it off to them? We did notice that cars with very loud mufflers and boom boxes have not been part of this "crackdown". We are law-abiding citizens and would like to have the freedom to ride our motorcyle wherevever we choose without fear of harrassment because of the actions of a few. We would like to suggest that the police direct their efforts to enforcing the cell phone laws and other dangerous activities and let the bikers enjoy Old Town once again. Until that time, we and our fellow bikers will be spending our dollars in outside of Temecula in areas that appreciate our patronage. We ride with businessmen, firefighters, law enforcement officers, doctors, lawyers and other upstanding citizens who are also equally upset about no longer being welcome in the City of Temecula.

113. Sun City Sam   February 1, 2015 at 2:54 pm

Awww, Mikey, did one of those big, bad, bikers get all pretentious with you? What happened? Come on, tell us all about how ‘most people’ came to that conclusion about the attitude of these nasty ol’ bikers! Was it how they rode through town on those big old silly 2-wheeled death machines reeking of pretentiousness? Did they scare you, Mikey? Was that you hanging on to your daddy’s pant leg? Maybe we should get the nice policemen to spank them instead of giving them tickets? Would that make it all better for you, Mikey? Would that get back at those disgusting, lame bikers who are always blaming others for all of their self-inflicted problems? Gee, I sure hope so. We wouldn’t want them continuing to flaunt their coolness in front of you, would we??? Or, alternatively, you could get a life……

114. Murrieta Mike   February 1, 2015 at 2:54 pm

Face it!! Maybe what most people are really sick and tired of , is that pretentious attitude people take on when they ride!!Maybe the cops in Temecula are ust as disqusted by all the lame bikers as the rest of the town?? And , I for one am fed up with bikers always blaming everyone else ,except themselves when they get injured or die in a crash?? You wanna ride around on a loud 2 wheeled death machine?? Well then don’t come cryin the blues when you go down! I mean after all , the danger aspect is what makes it so cool, RIGHT??

115. biker bob   February 1, 2015 at 2:54 pm

This whole crack down was not about loud pipes, it was about bikers. Yes a majority of tickets were issued for load pipes, but if they could not get you for pipes or DOT helmet they would make something up. Like no seat belt for a minor riding on the back of a motorcycle, no rear mud flap, or my favorite No Front License Plate. I think the city council started this whole thing because of the New Old Town they re trying to build. Can

116. Murrieta Mike   February 1, 2015 at 2:54 pm

I think you have the answer to all this Sam?? Sun City would be the perfect alternative to Temecula?? Boycott Temecula so all those cops will have no-one to pick on anymore, and get all your "brothers" and "sisters" to ride the wind in Sun City!!!! That’ll show em!!!

117. Biker Bob's Ol' Lady   February 1, 2015 at 2:54 pm

Profiling is illegal. Plain and simple. Regardless of the loud pipe issue on the table, people who ride motorcycles (particularly Harley-Davidson motorcycles) are being profiled and singled out by the cops. Motorcycle riders are also being harassed when they are not riding. This is illegal and must be stopped. Regardless of whether you choose to boycott Temecula’s Old Town or not, speak out and do not tolerate this behavior by the Temecula Police Force. We ALL want to feel safe and comfortable in our home town. I don’t want my kids to grow up worrying about the cops coming up and harassing them just because they are on a motorcycle.

118. B-RADLEY   February 1, 2015 at 2:54 pm

When did our law enforcement agency become a revenue center and not a center to serve and protect?
    One year back in So Cal feeling bullied in my four door Saturn.
    I believe in the boycotting system and making your voice be heard.
    Without Bike want to help the cause!

119. Tanner   February 1, 2015 at 2:54 pm

Temecula "definately" has an agenda!! I don’t think skipping breakfast at the "Swing Inn" on Sunday is gonna bust the City!!?You would think that in a city over-run by SUV’s and ultra-lifted 4by’s?? Bike’s would be more welcome?

120. Bobbeh   February 1, 2015 at 2:54 pm

Man, a few of you people (on both sides) are really stupid judging from your points of view and/or your illiteracy (you know, if your computer has Microsoft word it has a spell checker, for those of us that aren

121. Jason   February 1, 2015 at 2:54 pm

I also received a ticket in Old Town from one of the ‘Cycle Cops’. I think they get a kick out of pulling over anyone riding a nice looking Harley. I noticed that the focus was on Motorcycles. I hope that the city does something about it. ‘Biker Profiling’ is WRONG!! Oh, I have to say, all of you people whining about loud pipes and mean, scary Bikers are are just ignorant. 90% of the biker I have met and know are some of the nicest people you could ever meet. Take the time to get to know someone before you judge. Load pipes do save lives. Get your heads out of your A** and off the cell phones in cars and we wouldn’t have to worry. That is just my opinion, thank you for listening.

122. Steve   February 1, 2015 at 2:54 pm

Slap’n Leather?? HHHHHHMMMM, sounds like my kind of place?? I hope Ron and Carl, can point me in the direction of good bar in Temecula?? Althoug judging by it’s reputation, I doubt Temecula has any Gay freindly watering holes? If those cops in Temecula think that this crack down is gonna scare us bikers away…..they got another thing comin?? Stop the H8!!!!!