BREAKING: HOMELAND: Pedestrian struck, killed on Hwy 74

HOMELAND – Details are still emerging after a pedestrian was fatally struck earlier tonight. The victim was hit while walking in the area of Highway 74 and Juniper Flats Road in the unincorporated community of Homeland, between the cities of Hemet and Perris.

California Highway Patrol and Cal Fire/Riverside County Fire officials were dispatched to the scene of the major-injury, vehicle versus pedestrian traffic collision about 10 p.m., after several motorists and witnesses called 911 to report the accident.

Callers told emergency dispatchers a car, described as a blue Chevrolet Camaro, had spun off the roadway, according to a CHP incident log. It was not immediately known if the Chevrolet was involved in the deadly collision or if another vehicle struck the pedestrian.

When emergency first responders arrived at the scene, they found vehicle parts and debris strewn across the road and they located a victim down in the roadway. They also located the Chevrolet on the south side of the highway.

Witnesses at the scene reported seeing paramedics performing life-saving measures on the gravely injured pedestrian. In spite of their efforts, the victim succumbed to their injuries and was pronounced dead at the scene. Witnesses later reported seeing officials cover the person’s body with a yellow tarp.

After the life-saving efforts failed, the body of the victim could be seen in the westbound lanes of traffic near a Valero gas station, until coroner’s officials arrived.

Officials have not released the name of the victim, pending identification of the person’s family.

CHP officers called for the temporary closure of the highway, while they investigated the cause of the crash.

No information was available regarding the driver of the car that struck the pedestrian.

CHP officers are investigating the cause of the deadly collision and have not yet released any information regarding the accident.

This is a developing story. Additional information will be updated as it becomes available.

17 Responses to "BREAKING: HOMELAND: Pedestrian struck, killed on Hwy 74"

1. robert goldin   May 4, 2017 at 2:12 am

your reports are very factual. any other details about Victim etc.

2. Reggie   May 4, 2017 at 1:18 pm

The victim was a female

3. Jeremy   May 4, 2017 at 3:19 pm

Passed by this last night on the way to Menifee. My wife and I saw the body under the sheet. On the way back about 30minutes later the only people left were the cops and the body still. I have dashcam footage of me driving passed it.

• Julie Singer   May 8, 2017 at 7:39 pm

I am having a service for her at Evans-Brown in Sun City..Friday @ 10 am – 12 pm..
      I would love to have anyone come to the service and want to personally thank each and every person that ever reached out to her.
      I am lost and broken without my sister she was a good person this was a sad sad accident. She has a son that’s 23 that is currently serving our country in the Marines he will also be attending.

4. Julie Singer   May 4, 2017 at 4:27 pm

This was not a man..it was my sister…

• Kim Harris   May 5, 2017 at 5:22 am

Story has been updated. The Valley News team extends our sympathies to you and your family on the loss of your beloved family member. KH

• Jeff Logan   May 6, 2017 at 10:21 pm

I am sorry for your loss. I live near the accident scene and have been told the woman is named Katie or Kate. I have always done what I could for her. I am sad whoever it was. My heart goes out to you.

5. Margaret Blaine   May 6, 2017 at 4:08 pm

I see where someone has posted that they are sister to the pedestrian. Yes, at first glance she appeared to be male. If possible can you pass this on if in fact it is her sister? Would like to know where interment is at.

6. jojo   May 8, 2017 at 2:20 pm

Julie Singer,
    My Husband and I would talk with Katie as we walked and helped her any way we could. She was a Sweetheart to talk to. Our Deepest Sympathy to you and Your Family.
    God Bless

7. Julie Singer   May 8, 2017 at 7:29 pm

Yes this was my sister ..please I am looking for any details please..i miss her so much.this if very very difficult please contact me asap ..thank 🙂
    Julie
    909 904-0099
    Text call please

• Kim Harris   May 9, 2017 at 10:22 am

Hi Julie, you can contact Riverside County Sheriff and request a copy of the police report. That should have information as well. KH

8. Julie Singer   May 8, 2017 at 7:49 pm

thank you for your kind words this was my sister we are having a service for her Friday the 12th at Evans Brown Mortuary in Sun City between 10 a.m. and noon….
    We invite anyone that would like to attendl…we would love to meet people who have helped and met her along the way before this tragic accident any news of the accident or details are welcome to be shared 28th me privately..u can contact me personally at (909) 904-0099…
    I took care of her and shared every step of life with her..I miss her more then words can say…thank you to everyone he reached out and gave a helping hand while she went through this difficult time from the bottom of my heart I think each and every person Julie singer

9. Ruth   May 9, 2017 at 6:53 pm

I just wanted to add my thanks to everyone who helped our sister. You’ve given so much kindness to our family, and I appreciate the respect and care shown to Katie. I miss that little girl of ours with the long blonde curls.

10. margaret blaine   May 9, 2017 at 11:25 pm

Julie, I just found this in my mail few minutes ago.. We recently found out my husband who is a Vet is fighting melanoma. On the 12th he has an appointment at V.A. to find out if it did not spread. He has had surgery and is currently walking around with a dressing stapled to his head. If I can get one of the ladies from the food bank Katy visited on a regular basis I will hopefully be there. Where is she being laid to rest? Katy touched my life in a special way. She was very sweet. I think about her everyday since I found out about the accident. I pass by where it happened and I wonder how will I ever be able to pass by there and not think of her. I will pass this information on to others that served her. margaretblaine369@gmail.com

11. Julie Singer   June 2, 2017 at 11:10 am

Still looking for the gentleman Jeremy in the comments about a dash can video..please

12. Jeremy   June 2, 2017 at 7:49 pm

Hey Julie my dashcam deletes its footage every week. I didn’t save the footage because it was something I didn’t want to show anyone else or relive to see. I’m a truck driver so I’ve seen a lot of bad stuff and I always make sure I don’t save it on dashcam. I’m sorry if you wanted to see it but I didn’t catch what happened or anything it was just the aftermath and it didn’t show too much. I’m sorry for your loss.

• Julie Singer   June 2, 2017 at 9:54 pm

I completely understand ..if you could contact me though .I’m looking for details..not placing any blame I just need to know what happened.. I just need to ease my mind and know a she was at..I’m at a loss..I would appreciate it.. I know you were just passing by but anything you could cool me in on please..909 904 0099..text, call..whatever you can if You would. Thank you..