Camp Pendleton motorcyclist suffers major injuries after sliding under big rig

OCEANSIDE – A 21-year-old motorcyclist from Camp Pendleton suffered major injuries when he struck the rear of a car, slid under a big rig and his legs became pinned under the trailer, California Highway Patrol sergeant said today.

The crash was reported at 8 p.m. Saturday on the southbound San Diego (5) Freeway north of Cassidy Street, said Sgt. M. Kelley.

The crash occurred when the motorcyclist was southbound on the San Diego Freeway, ”splitting traffic” between the two left lanes at 60 to 75 mph while traffic was congested and moving at 30 to 50 mph, Kelley said.

The driver of a 2005 Toyota Corolla checked her mirror and saw the center lane was clear so she began to move from the far left to the center lane and the motorcyclist collided into the rear of her car, the sergeant said.

The motorcyclist then traveled to the right and went underneath the rear of the 2009 Kenworth tractor-trailer’s trailer, Kelley said.

When the truck driver ”felt his vehicle shaking he stopped and looked into his left side mirror” and saw the motorcyclist’s ”helmet sticking out from the left rear axle area of his trailer,” the sergeant said.

The left forward axle of the trailer came to rest on top of the motorcyclist’s legs, Kelley said. The motorcycle was entangled in the rear axle of the trailer.

Firefighters used special equipment to free the motorcyclist from the trailer and he was airlifted to Scripps Memorial Hospital in La Jolla, Kelley said.

”Alcohol does not appear to be a factor in this collision,” the sergeant said.

The 25-year-old Toyota driver and the 44-year-old big rig driver were both from San Diego, Kelley said.

15 Responses to "Camp Pendleton motorcyclist suffers major injuries after sliding under big rig"

1. flbboy   July 21, 2014 at 9:17 am

Stupidity seems to be a factor in this collision, these young marines do ask for death, in their aggressive driving styles. If only they could obey the laws…

2. Dale   July 21, 2014 at 3:06 pm

Flbboy, I saw the crash. Yes marine was riding a little fast and reckless. By the Toyota got over without signaling. Basically marine was lane splitting at a higher speed than should have, then the Toyota saw a clear spot on its right. It moved over without signal right in front of bike. Sad. :'(

3. INCONCEIVABLE   July 21, 2014 at 4:14 pm

The biker was going 30+ mph faster than the speed of traffic. Seems like the outcome was predetermined.

4. Joemamma   July 21, 2014 at 5:53 pm

I just had a motorcyclist split lanes on me today while driving on the 60 west between Beaumont and Moreno. I saw him in my rear view coming up fast and it looked like he was going to split the lanes, but i thought surely he won’t try, we were already doing 70mph as it was. And the lanes were blocked by me and a landscape truck. I focused my attention in front of me to navigate the fairly sharp right curve. And low and behold this guy is right between me and the landscape truck almost getting pinched off. He had pushed it up to close to 90 to try and pull this move off. After I scoot over to the left as much as possible without jumping the divider wall to let him by, he looks back at me and flips me off like I’m the jerk here.

I am all for respecting motorcycles while driving, but a message to all bikers out there. Stunts like this make it hard to have sympathy for you. I will do my best to be aware and always double take on lane changes. I will do my best to give motorcyclists extra room. But you guys got to help us out here. Splitting lanes at 90 isn’t helping the cause.

5. Har   July 21, 2014 at 7:20 pm

Dale seems to be damming the Toyota driver for changing lanes without signaling. Don’t we all do that at times? Well maybe not Dale.

6. ZZZ   July 21, 2014 at 9:41 pm

Every morning down I-15 FasTrak lanes, we accommodate motorcycles by watching in our rear view mirrors and moving left so they can wiggle by. Just as much for our safety as theirs, as we go 80. They are crazy, but its their road also and I ALWAYS watch for them. Always. They are playing Russian Roulette mostly.

7. @ #2   July 22, 2014 at 10:20 am

The lane merge by the Toyota had nothing to do with the biker’s accident. If they would’ve been lane splitting at a safe speed, this could have been avoided. If it wasn’t the Toyota, it would’ve been another car. I like motorcycles a lot, I like motorcycle racing (MotoGP), but the everyday bikers you see in traffic seem really stupid in how they ride (not all, but most of them). To the biker that crashed in this story, "hey, now you prob won’t be able to ride for the rest of your life since the the semi mangled your leg". LiveLeak helps, in that it will have you think long and hard about being more alert out there.

8. Reality Checker   July 22, 2014 at 11:51 am

If a biker wants to lane split at 80 or 90 mph, then I couldn’t care less if he/she gets rolled up like hamburger meat. Thier choice, their award for stupidity. They’ve got to realize, theirs is just another headlight in a sea of headlights. I’m not gonna look too hard for them, if I want to change lanes I will. If there’s a komakaze biker bearing down on me then oh well. Hope they don’t suffer when they get their reward for stupidity. Then again, why should I give a sheet whether or not they suffer the consequences.

9. SAR   July 22, 2014 at 3:54 pm

My thoughts:
    First, I agree with the fact that the motorcyclist was as fault. Lane splitting is dangerous enough; add speed and it could (and does) prove deadly. I’m all for making lane splitting illegal. An exception may be when traffic is stopped.
    Second, I’ve seen many close calls because someone starts to change lanes without using turn signals. I drive a Honda Civic and the turn indicator knob is pretty easy to access and easy to use. It only takes the slightest effort to use.
    When all is said and done, the cyclist is mainly at fault for driving the way he was. However, if the Toyota had used their signal, the whole incident may have been avoided.

10. DS   July 23, 2014 at 2:00 am

I was right behind the simi, the toyota clipped the bikes front tire and shot him sideways under I did not see her look over her shoulder before she attempted to change lanes, both were at fault, the simi didn’t know so he drug him it seemded like forever before he stopped.

11. Preston   July 23, 2014 at 6:53 am

1. Outlaw lane splitting and mandate that if there is an accident and the Motorcyclist is splitting lands it is always the Motorcyclist fault, Always.
    2. Take the pocket rockets away from the dare devil thrill seekers (permanently).
    That will probably cut the Motorcycle Accidents in half.
    3. Require the remaining half to attend a course on how to survive on a Motorcycle before giving them a Motorcycle License.

12. DefenderofRight   July 23, 2014 at 4:05 pm

Comment #6 | Monday, Jul 21, 2014 at 9:41 pm

To quote ZZZ,

Herein lies part of the problem, motorists traveling 80, 85 even 90 mph is not only dangerous but stupid. Let me ask you something, What does the term "Fast Lane" mean? Does it mean I can use this lane to travel whatever speed I wish? Sorry, but no. This lane is designated for motorists traveling the posted speed limit while slower traffic, that is traffic traveling less than the posted speed limit, are required to travel in the right-hand lanes. If you are in a hurry and feel the need to drive this fast, leave your house earlier and you will arrive at your destination on time while traveling at the LEGAL speed limit.

13. ZZZ   July 23, 2014 at 8:22 pm

@12 If I drove the posted speed limit I would be a causing an accident for sure…I am going the same speed as everyone which most days average 73. Therefore, can be anywhere from 65-80…you go with the flow and all are safe.

That’s the beauty of FasTrak…we all go the same speed. Yes, you always have a few that want to get ahead of the pack, or are texting and slow down. But look over, I can’t even remember the last accident in my 2x 5 days. PS: I’m not in a hurry as I’m on no clock.

14. Yoshi   July 24, 2014 at 12:40 pm

I used to ride Motorcycles myself. I had a Honda CB 360. I used to lane split and one needs to be real careful. It’s terrible to crash and I hope the rider gets well soon.

15. MotorcycleBob   July 24, 2014 at 1:19 pm

You know, with cage drivers like most of you out there, I would suggest outlawing cages and leave the roads to the motorcyclists! That would solve all our problems! A plus would be, you would not have to worry about getting a ticket for your texting while driving!

Many of the riders I see daily need to slow down when splitting traffic, no doubt, but do not try to put all the blame on the riders. Motorcycles have been splitting lanes long before most of you came to California, it will not change anytime soon.

Now, if you are in the habit of unsafe lane changes, there is a very good chance that you will be held responsible for the accident! You tell us, …we should wait our turn… You mean like the guy in the cage roaring down the right lane (until he comes to the next big rig) to get in front of as many cages as he can, while cutting off the driver now behind him?

It is a danerous world out there, I do not care who or what you ride or drive, we all need to be aware of each other and ride or drive responsibly. And anyone that wants first hand experience at lane splitting, my bike is big enough to give you a ride during my commute from Murrieta to San Diego. Shoot, you can bring your camera and take pictures of all the cage drivers texting and talking with their cell phones up to their ears!