Camp Pendleton units will conduct weekend artillery training

CAMP PENDLETON – Camp Pendleton artillery units will be conducting a live fire exercise with High Mobility Artillery Rockets (HIMARS) in the Whiskey and Zulu impact areas from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m., Saturday, June 1.

Depending on the atmospheric conditions, the sounds of the explosions may be amplified and heard up to 50 miles away.

For future inquiries regarding increased noise levels, please refer to the weekly noise advisories posted on the Marine Corps Base Camp Pendleton web site at http://www.pendleton.marines.mil/About/BaseInformation/NoiseAdvisory.aspx.

17 Responses to "Camp Pendleton units will conduct weekend artillery training"

1. 4 yeas here   May 31, 2013 at 2:51 pm

Fire away!

2. Carla   June 2, 2013 at 3:45 pm

I wonder how many children will go to bed hungry tonight within the audible periphery of these ongoing displays of US militarism and brute arrogance?

3. Olivia   June 3, 2013 at 8:11 am

@Carla: I am 23 years old, born into a lower income family where both of my parents had to work in order to make ends meet. I studied hard in school and managed to earn a full ride scholarship to a good university, I am currently working on my Masters. I have to say that people like you make me ashamed of my generation. Have you ever gone to bed hungry Carla? I have. Have you ever visited a third world country? I have. We are both fortunate to live in the United States of America Carla, the difference between us is that you take what you have for granted and I, on the other hand, thank God for it.

4. The Truth   June 3, 2013 at 8:20 am

@ Carla Whatever you are smoking, I want some of it!

5. Twenty Something   June 3, 2013 at 12:42 pm

Thank you Olivia for speaking up for those of us who still believe in the American dream. We have some big shoes to fill. We all know that some things have to change in this country for the better, but we still respect those who have gone before us and forged the way. What people like Carla do not understand, is that if we enter into the type of regime she is advocating we will still have to have a military, only they wouldn’t be here to serve and protect us they would be in place to protect a communist/socialist government against uprisings from the people, who would surely rebel against being under their oppressive boot heel. I prefer living in a country that while it may not be perfect, it’s head and shoulders above whatever country comes in second.

6. to Olivia   June 3, 2013 at 1:47 pm

Bravo a ti Olivia (bravo to you Olivia)! Good job on your accomplishments.

7. Olivia   June 3, 2013 at 2:49 pm

Gracias and thank you comment #6. I was fortunate.

8. Lee   June 3, 2013 at 4:12 pm

Bravo to Carla!

9. Carla   June 4, 2013 at 5:15 am

Olivia: I’ve clearly not had it as bad as you (for example, I’ve never suffered food insecurity). I come from a very middle class background. Both of my parents work, as do I while putting myself through college. I’m proud that I’ve so far managed to make Dean’s List for each academic quarter that I’ve attended. And I hope at this pace to graduate in a little more than a year with my Bachelor’s. I also keep quite busy involved in a variety of political activities as well as by volunteering as an ESL tutor for adult immigrants 3 nights a week here in LA where I currently live and go to school.

I’m sorry to hear that my disdain for militarism and the economic waste involved in having some 1.5 million people permanently under arms has somehow caused you embarrassment. As a US citizen I know all too well what embarrassment is like. I’m embarrassed that in a nation as affluent as ours, we have one of, if not THE highest child poverty rate of any developed nation in the world. I’m embarrassed that the US also has one of the highest infant mortality rates of practically any country in the developed world. I’m embarrassed that my country also has one of the highest rates of chronic infant malnutrition and one of the lowest rates for childhood immunization and prepartum health screening outside of the third world.

Despite these and the multitude of other inconvenient facts that run counter to the flag waving, jingoistic, "America is the greatest nation on the face of the earth" fallacy, I do consider myself very fortunate to live here. I’ve never had to go through what young people in so many other places have had to endure. I’ve never been in the position of being told what I can or can not read, or what ideas I can or can not freely express. I’ve never been placed in a position where I’ve had to take to the streets to fight to establish one of the most fundamental of human rights, the right to freely express ideas. Here in the US the foundations of societal greatness have already been laid by the hard fought efforts of preceding generations and I’m just a grateful inheritor of these liberties. But let’s not make any mistake about what this implies either. This is just a foundation, nothing more. The work of constructing a just, fair and equitable society on top of this foundation is still ahead of us. I’m not so naive as to believe that all human want can ever be eliminated but I am truly convinced that each and every one of us has a life long moral and ethical duty to try. That we as a society working collectively for the common good and betterment can accomplish so much more than each of us could individually. And to this end I think we all have an obligation to speak out, to actively use our inherited rights of free speech and political expression to move this country forward. To remain silent and passive as a response to the profound problems and shortcomings that surround us here in the US and the world beyond would truly be an inheritance squandered.

10. Carla   June 4, 2013 at 5:35 am

@5. I think you would do yourself a favor by educating yourself about what socialism is and what it is not. A socialist regime does not imply an authoritarian or dictatorial type of government anymore than a capitalist one guarantees freedom.

11. grunt   June 4, 2013 at 7:37 am

Carla, it is apparent that you do not like the US, nor our representative form of Democracy, instead of trying to change the majority, why not move to a more suitable country? Cuba, China, North Korea, are just three of the socialist government owns all; take care of the people countries that practice what you espouse. And, they welcome people that blame America for all the ills in the world. You would be happier there.

12. Carla   June 5, 2013 at 2:16 am

@11. It is apparent that your reading comprehension skills are negligible at best.

13. Albert   June 5, 2013 at 11:41 pm

Carla, I choose to wake up every morning as well as go to bed hungry almost every night. However I welcome that hunger because it means that my elderly mother has a roof over her head, that my children can eat, and that my wife can go to school to better herself. I also welcome the distant thunder of those 155mm batteries whenever they echo in the distance, as they mean that young Marines train to ward off those who wish us worse than dead. While we may make sacrifices here on the homefront, those young men and women choose to walk into the line of fire to protect us almost every day. So if I must go with a little less nourishment to ensure those evils that wish to bring our downfall are kept at bay, I welcome it.

Also have you ever tried looking into your partner’s crying eyes as you sell plasma, pawn your possessions, work 3 jobs, and still find time to take the family to the park once a month as you tell her you don’t believe you’re doing enough for the family?

I doubt it, so grow a pair and don’t you dare to presume to tell me about hunger or hardship. Carry on Marines.

11HX – Retired (Southern Watch. OIF, OEF)

"So that others may live"

14. grunt   June 6, 2013 at 5:54 am

@Carla – yes, like most of the liberals here – can not think of something intelligent, insult someone – with no facts not reason. Why do you doubt ny ability to read? Oh, wait – Bush did it, right?

15. The Truth   June 6, 2013 at 9:53 am

No Grunt, you did it! By not paying attention in school. Don’t worry though "Check it out" will help you overcome your inabilities. Carla might to if you ask her nicely.

16. Carla   June 7, 2013 at 6:26 pm

@grunt. When you make false statements that I dislike democracy or that I somehow support dictatorships such as North Korea, especially in the absence of anything I’ve ever said to suggest such a thing, the most charitable response I can possibly muster is to respond that you clearly have problems understanding written English. Otherwise, I’m left with the conclusion that you are deliberately engaged in distortions.

Also, when you state that if somebody doesn’t like the budgetary priorities of the federal government they should simply get out of the country, don’t be surprised if you receive a terse reply.

17. Carla   June 7, 2013 at 6:42 pm

@ Albert-You are perfectly free to support or not an overblown military and the resulting negative financial implications on other federal programs that might actually put food in your mouth. But please don’t use the resulting situation that you find yourself in to somehow justify the hunger of the many, many others in this country who find themselves in your very position.

The existence of a massively overfunded US military does nothing to protect you. In fact, I would suggest that its continuing existence does more to increase your family’s, as well as others, chances of experiencing food insecurity and want.