HEMET: Parolee injures patrolman, held without bail

A parolee who allegedly turned combative when a Hemet police officer attempted to detain them, resulting in injuries to the patrolman, was being held without bail today, while a second suspect posted bond and got out of jail.

Vincent Gerard Arresperalta, 21, of San Jacinto and Kenneth Hurtado, 19, of Hemet were arrested Tuesday following the confrontation with police, during which Hurtado allegedly inflicted injuries to the arresting officer and eluded capture for hours.

According to Hemet police Lt. Eddie Pust, the suspects came to the attention of officers after a passerby in the 1600 block of Florida Avenue reported that the pair were possibly dealing drugs.

A patrol unit went to the location and found the men sitting in a full- size red pickup truck.

When the two officers approached the suspects, Arresperalta began reaching under his seat, prompting one officer to issue several commands for the suspect to stop, Pust said. When he didn’t, the officer grabbed his hands, at which point Arresperalta allegedly tried to push the patrolman away.

The suspect was ultimately handcuffed, while Hurtado was removed from the truck by the officer’s partner, according to Pust.

As the second officer attempted to cuff Hurtado, the parolee “pulled away, causing an injury to the officer’s left hand,” the lieutenant said.

The suspect ran toward the intersection of Florida and San Jacinto Street, where his pursuers lost sight of him.

A search of the pickup turned up three loaded firearms, one of which had been reported stolen out of Hemet, as well as illegal drugs, according to Pust.

Arresperalta was booked into the Smith Correctional Facility in Banning on suspicion of felony resisting arrest, receiving stolen property, illegal possession of a loaded gun, conspiracy and possession of a controlled substance. He posted a $25,000 bond this morning and was released.

According to Pust, officers were able to confirm Hurtado’s identity and, with the help of Riverside County Gang Task Force personnel, tracked him down to the 43000 block of Tiber Street, where he was arrested without incident shortly before 8 p.m.

He was booked into the Smith jail on suspicion of assault on a peace officer, being a felon in possession of a firearm, resisting arrest and parole violations.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.