LAKE ELSINORE – The Luiseno Chapter of the Daughters of the American Revolution held a historical marking event Saturday, Oct. 14. Together with the assistance of the Lake Elsinore Historical Society, the DAR had a plaque placed on the Lake Elsinore Cultural Center building. The classic building was built in 1923 and has provided a meeting place for the community’s spiritual, social, cultural and civic needs.
Designed by architect Arthur Lindley, the three-story, classic revival structure served the Lake Elsinore community as a church from 1924 until the early 1990s. It currently serves as the city council chambers and home of the Lake Elsinore Historical Museum. The building has previously been designated as Riverside County’s Historical Landmark RIV-87.
The marking ceremony took place in front of the cultural center and was followed by a lunch in the museum. Speakers for the event were Ruth Atkins of the Lake Elsinore Historical Society, Mayor Bob Magee, Chamber of Commerce President Kim Cousins and Bonnie Hayosh, the regent of the Luiseno Chapter of the Daughters of the American Revolution. The DAR has placed three other historical site plaques on structures in Lake Elsinore, including the Santa Fe Train Station – now the chamber of commerce offices, a tank house that was moved to the property of the train station and the Mary McDonald Gazebo. The DAR places plaques on historical sites to educate and remind the residents of that community of the history that has transpired there. DAR event chairman Joyce Hohenadl said that she was pleased that the event went so well.