Motorcyclist killed on Ortega Hwy in head-on collision identified

LAKE ELSINORE (CNS) – An Inland Empire man was speeding and failed to stay on his side of the road moments before he was killed in a motorcycle crash on the Ortega Highway, Route 74, near the Orange-Riverside-Orange county line, the CHP said today.

Adrian Cervantes, 24, of Fontana, was killed in the wreck at 10:55 a.m. Saturday, according to the CHP and the Orange County Coroner.

His Honda motorcycle was heading east at 60-65 miles per hour when he tried to negotiate a curve in the roadway, a CHP report said.

Because of his unsafe speed, Cervantes traveled left across the double yellow line into the path of a westbound 1995 Chevy pickup truck. He was thrown from his bike, the CHP said.

He was pronounced dead at the scene.

The driver of the pickup truck was not arrested, and the road between Lake Elsinore and San Juan Capistrano was closed for two hours.

The winding road is the only direct route between the Inland Empire and southern Orange County, and is frequented by motorcycles on weekends. CHP officers said the 80-year-old two lane road is one of the bloodiest routes in the state.

LAKE ELSINORE – A motorcyclist was apparently killed when his cycle and a truck crashed head-on on the Ortega Highway, closing Route 74 between Riverside and Orange counties.

The collision was reported at 10:55 a.m. for the wreck, near the Candy Store and the county line, according to the CHP. That location is about 10 miles west of Lake Elsinore, in an area notorious for deadly motorcycle crashes.

The rider was reported to be still and under the truck, witnesses told the CHP.

The twisting highway between San Juan Capistrano and Lake Elsinore was closed until 12:55 p.m.

11 Responses to "Motorcyclist killed on Ortega Hwy in head-on collision identified"

1. Reality Checker   November 10, 2013 at 11:35 am

Unfortunately, that’s what you get when motorcyclists and cars both treat the 74 like its a racetrack.

2. Tania   November 10, 2013 at 8:27 pm

I was there. He was at peace. His eyes were open and he had no blood.
    The Lord Jesus brought
    All kinds of people to pray for this young man.
    I hope the family knows he was not alone.
    I was there and the Love for this young man by many people
    Praying and laying hands on him to bring him back to life was
    Amazing!!! I felt the heavens open and we were not alone.
    The heavenly host was watching. I knew his soul had went
    Home to be with Jesus.
    Life is just a vapor and we are gone.
    I hope and pray for everyone that was there can
    Know to love Ur family and know life is short.
    Jesus said I am the way the truth and the life!
    John 3:16 His only Son!

Godbless!

3. freda   November 10, 2013 at 9:27 pm

I am in tears as I read your comment Tania, yes life is as a vapor and my own son survived a motorcycle accident a couple months ago and it means so much to read your words of truth and compassion for a young man who did not make it but to know he was at peace and everyone was praying for him means so much I pray he is with Jesus and hope more people come to know our Saviour before they meet him face to face. You are a blessing and I hope his family reads your comment so they can find some comfort knowing people cared. God bless you and may God comfort his family and give them Shalom.

4. robin   November 10, 2013 at 9:53 pm

im so sorry and pray for his family and friends

5. Jill   November 11, 2013 at 12:15 am

Tania, I am so relieved to read your post. I drove up as (who I thought were his friends) a group of guys were trying to resuscitate him. Two other guys cleared the road for me so I could drive through . I have felt so bad that I could not bring myself to get out of my vehicle to help. I believe I was probably the third or fourth car to arrive at the scene. I prayed as I sat there and waited to be able to pass. My 28 year old nephew was killed in a motorcycle accident Nov.3, 2010. Seeing this accident was just overwhelming. Praise God for everyone of you who stopped, prayed and helped.

6. Elisa   November 11, 2013 at 2:37 pm

Tania,
    Thank you so much for the words you wrote. This young man was a close friend to my family, and it is truly good to know some of the details, and the last minutes of Adrian’s life were not spent alone, and that there were people there to help and to pray for him. This is such a terrible loss, and yes-our lives are like a vapor, no man is promised tomorrow, and you were there, and felt the Lord take him home. This is a comfort knowing these small-yet important details. Thank you-and God bless.

7. Reality Checker   November 11, 2013 at 3:18 pm

Maybe its time the state banned motorcycles on the 74.

8. jdm   November 11, 2013 at 5:43 pm

Still can’t believe i lost my good friend/Ryder brother. Can someone please let know where the site of the crash is…I’m setting up a ride to the spot b4 his car wash everyone welcome.

9. soyer   November 12, 2013 at 12:03 am

words cant describe how much i miss u right now but i love u and ill see u soon compa #repsinparadise

10. anonymous   November 14, 2013 at 3:10 pm

Please help by donating! All donations are forwarded to his family members for his funeral expenses! Here is the link http://www.gofundme.com/58b5cs

11. jayy   January 8, 2014 at 7:25 pm