Murder/suicide shocks Temecula residents

A Sunday afternoon gathering of two parents and their children turned deadly when sporadic gunfire that erupted in a sun-splashed Temecula golf course neighborhood left two adults and three teens dead.

The deaths, termed ‘a crime of murder and suicide’ by investigators, have brought widespread attention to Temecula and caused troubling questions to ripple through the community. Days later, questions of why and how continued to gnaw at Pete Rosati, who lives next to the Temeku Hills cul-de-sac residence where the killings occurred.

“It would be nice to have some closure, just to put my mind at ease,” Rosati said in an interview at his Iron Circle home on Tuesday.

Rosati recalled standing in his backyard when he heard a rapid volley of two or three shots. The gunfire, Rosati said, caused him to listen, wait and wonder.

About 20 minutes later, another neighbor breathlessly told a police dispatcher that she had heard three shots. In the six-minute 9-1-1 call, Christine Rios said she heard a woman moaning and noises that sounded like firecrackers. She said a vehicle

22 Responses to "Murder/suicide shocks Temecula residents"

1. Mariah   October 9, 2009 at 4:46 am

Funny i find this article all these years later. In my criminology class i have to research a mass murderer. I requested my two best friends murder. This resesarch is being proven harder and harder as i find more, however i knew for some reason i needed to do this. Kadee was right, they have made such an impact at youth and i remembered that. They made us all so happy, greatful, and appreciative for life. I was never able to get my clossure, so maybe go created this assignment for me to help get it. considedring there day is coming up. i love you girls and i know one day soon in your eyes we will be in the presence of god together enjoying all he has promised us. i love you.

2. Ash   November 3, 2009 at 11:07 am

Nearly two years later, and I still think of you guys everyday. Your beautiful faces will never be forgotten. I love you guys with all of my heart. I can’t wait to be with you again in Heaven.

3. Sara   November 5, 2009 at 1:07 am

They are my sister and nieces, with the anniversary of their deaths next week I thought I would just google them ( I do it every once in awhile). I appreciate everybody’s kind words…they were and still are a huge part of my life. I miss them with every breath…

4. Ash   November 5, 2009 at 10:53 am

I miss them so much. :( I’m going to do it big for you this coming up Wednesday. Your guys’ life is going to be a huge celebration..I love you both with all of my heart. I still haven’t stopped thinking about you guys. I know you are in a better place with God. You two were such amazing women. Your beautiful faces, and smiles will never be forgotten. You two can NEVER be replaced. You were one of a kind. I miss you two.

5. Shaun C   November 11, 2009 at 9:19 pm

To Sara.

I read your comment and I am very sorry for the loss of your sister and Nieces, my heart goes out to you. My friends and I visit the house where they died to lay down flowers, light candles, and pay our respects. We do this because we are unaware of any grave or memorial. We are all wondering if they are burried anywhere, or if the ashes were spread so that we can pay our respects there. I saw your comment hoping that I can ask you that question. If you can please email me at bob.t447@yahoo.com

6. Shaun Couts   November 11, 2009 at 9:23 pm

2 years ago today you girls were taken from us. It saddens me to think of how young they were. They had so much in store for them. At the time they were killed I did not have many friends, especially female friends. But Nikita was such a good friend of mine. Badass, always positive, great sense of humor and beautiful. Nikita and I had a little game we played in english class. She would always sneak into my backpack when I wasn’t looking and write “IM GAY” on my essays and papers. Then when it came time to turn in the essays, the Teacher would be like “Shaun! why did you write “IM GAY” on the top of the paper???” In return I would try and get back at her with the same method by writing “IM GAY” all over her stuff. On the day of school after their death, not much of the public knew of the identity of the victims at the shooting. I opened my binder, and in big letters written in sharpie were “IM GAY!!! =)”. I laughed at it. I found her shenanigans written on my binder moments before the principal came on the intercom to announce the deaths of Nikita and Narissa. I was devastated. But still to this day, she won that little game we played.

Another thing I want to share is a when we wrote a time capsule essay in the beginning of the year in English class. The assignment was to write about who your hero was, your goals in school, the college you plan to attend, and what your ideal career path would be. Then, at the end of the year everyone would read what they wrote and see if they achieved their goals. This essay was private to the writer only. A few weeks after she wrote this was when the massacre happened.

So 9 months later when it was the end of the year, the teacher passed back the essays to everyone. Knowing that my friend Chris and I were friends with Nikita, she gave us her essay to read. We opened it, and this is what it read.

“I love ME!! = ) When I grow up I want to be a bartender so I can serve cute guys! haha hell yeah!” she completely avoided the assignment and wrote this. She truly had the greatest sense of Humor I’ve ever seen

7. Sara   February 19, 2010 at 10:04 am

Shaun, thank you very much. They are buried here in Spokane, WA at Riverside Cemetery. I was told at one point there was supposed to be a memorial at the school. Also the city of Temecula was supposed to be putting up a memorial to all victims of violent crimes somewhere in the city.

8. Sara   February 19, 2010 at 10:04 am

Shaun, I finished reading your second post….I laughed out loud about the assignment. That is awesome, and so like Kita! Thank you for the laugh.

9. danielle   November 11, 2011 at 6:04 pm

my moms bestfreinds cusions naomi and nakita and narissa died from a shotting from now and they died in 2007

10. miss your smiles   November 10, 2012 at 10:27 am

Gone but not forgotten

11. Tina   November 30, 2012 at 4:57 am

I would like to know if they ever found out what happened so the rest of the extended family and friends might have closure. This upsets me as a friend of the girls father here in washington st I see my friend torn apart from this it was his ex wife and daughters. It seems everyone has forgotten to mention that yes they lived in california but they were someones wife and babies before that and he still doesnt have closure.

12. tina   November 30, 2012 at 5:21 am

Ok so your not gonna approve my post okay I get that but they say it was a murder suicide so what vehicle was it that was leaving the property is no one asking these questions is there an update I havent found if so can you send us the link Thank you tlp98122@msn.com

13. 2013   May 16, 2013 at 1:44 pm

so here it is 2013 and it is still being called a murder suicide i dont understand who drove away in a truck????????????????????????????????????????????????????

14. Miss them   June 2, 2013 at 12:29 pm

I am not sure how soon you will see this. Matthews sister drove away in the truck. It is recorded in another news article and actually mentioned in this one, just doesn’t say she drove a truck. I hope it helps :(

15. Jamie   September 25, 2013 at 9:54 pm

I love you all and will forever be in my heart!!!

16. Gwend Montgomery   February 1, 2015 at 2:54 pm

Even though I didn’t know the family and live in Hemet, I was still touched by the tragedy. I have two granddaughters the same age and it really hit home to me. HOwever, it really disgusted me when I found out that a neighbor was taking pictures of the dead bodies. For what purpose?

17. AUNT CLAUDIA   February 1, 2015 at 2:54 pm

I WILL MISS YOU ALL VERY MUCH. THIS IS SUCH A HARD THING TO GO THROUGH FOR EVERYONE. I LOVE YOU ALL VERY MUCH

18. kadee   February 1, 2015 at 2:54 pm

gosh i loved these girls soo much.
    they were the life and the happiness of our church. the youth ministry thinks about them constantly. and now everything we do is for them. because we changed their lives in 6 months but really they impacted all of us soo much more. they were always sooo happy. and its a shame that they are gone but we all know that they are skipping down the golden streets of heaven chillin with the big G man. nikita and narissa i love you! and things arent the same but you will never be forgotten. ily <3
    taquito and burrito you WONT be forgotten!!

19. livia   February 1, 2015 at 2:54 pm

even though i had just moved from temecula, i still cant believe that something like this could happen.one my friends lives in Temeku hills & another lived down the street from the family.i give my condolences to the the family & friends that are suffering right now.

20. kathy   February 1, 2015 at 2:54 pm

i am so so sorry.

21. ?????   February 1, 2015 at 2:54 pm

i did not you but knew naomis sister who is very close to my family R.I.P we will all miss you guys so much

22. Christin   February 1, 2015 at 2:54 pm

I went to Chaparral with these girls and i remember when Narissa was new in our geography class and she was so quite and shy so i decided to talk to her and we was my geography buddy =] she was very sweet and i miss her very much . RIP Nikita & Narissa we miss you .