Noise levels may increase in the vicinity of Camp Pendleton

CAMP PENDLETON – Marines will conduct an exercise that involves the detonation of Mine Clearing Line Charges (MCLIC) from, Tuesday, April 29, to Friday, May 2.

Mine Clearing Line Charges are 1,750 pounds of linked C-4 (Composition C) explosives used to create a breach in minefields under combat conditions.

Camp Pendleton units will also be conducting mortar fire training exercises from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Friday, May 2.

Depending on atmospheric conditions, the sound of the explosions may be amplified and heard up to 50 miles away.

Detailed information regarding increased noise levels may be found in the weekly noise advisories posted on the Marine Corps Base Camp Pendleton website at: http://www.pendleton.marines.mil/About/BaseInformation/NoiseAdvisory.aspx

39 Responses to "Noise levels may increase in the vicinity of Camp Pendleton"

1. Me   April 30, 2014 at 9:24 am

Ah yes. What would it be like without our marines deciding to drop bombs during Santa Ana conditions…..

2. Lee   April 30, 2014 at 11:52 am

My dear fellow Fallbrookers, we all love Fallbrook! That’s why all of us live here. All of us are very protective of Fallbrook and our rural lifestyle which we love so dearly. I wonder, though, if artillery and bombing exercises conducted only a few short miles away are a safe and prudent thing to do. As we all know perfectly well, these bombing exercises are small earthquakes on the magnitude of around 2.0, I would suspect. Can one not then deduce that these repeated small tremors weaken the structural integrity of our homes, schools, businesses, churches, etc., to the point that when the "big one" hits, their structural demise is guaranteed? I believe this should be researched which, of course, is no problem with today’s technological capabilities.

And if and when the findings of this research are affirmed, I propose that all artillery and bombing exercises, etc. be permanently relocated from Camp Pendleton to Twenty-Nine Palms.

As we all know, my dear fellow Fallbrookers, every member of our military reminds us of how he/she loves America, our Constitution and our democracy: we see this in the Christmas toy drives, individual interviews on TV, holiday parades, Padres’ military Sundays, car stickers, even from comments from fellow commenters on these threads. Therefore, we are all certain that our military brass will heed the democratic call of THE PEOPLE.

Thank you.

3. You   April 30, 2014 at 12:31 pm

No one is dropping bombs, Me. Go do an internet search on mines and get back to us with a report.

4. grunt   April 30, 2014 at 12:33 pm

in answer to #1, maybe speaking Japanese or German?

5. Me   April 30, 2014 at 1:36 pm

@You…..do they generate a spark? You knew exactly what I was saying, but of course you have to play the smart $#@.

Funny…we’re not supposed to use our weed wackers…but they can launch mortars and blow up land mines.

6. Me   April 30, 2014 at 1:39 pm

and @grunt….I know that just waiting a few days for the Red Flag Warning to subside might jeopardize life as we know it….and may result in us speaking "Japanese or German" in the future….but is it THAT much to ask to use a little common sense and postpone these actions for a couple days?

What am I saying…Common Sense in the military or government? Forget it.

7. You   April 30, 2014 at 2:04 pm

Lee, Unless you owned your Fallbrook home in 1942, I suggest you relocate immediately. It’s just plain too dangerous here.

Grunt, touch

8. To Lee   April 30, 2014 at 2:16 pm

Or, maybe multiple small temblers help ease the pressure? Not sure, just sayin’!

9. Pink   April 30, 2014 at 3:08 pm

"The sky is falling… the sky is falling" – (Chicken LEEtle)

10. Mom of lots   April 30, 2014 at 4:04 pm

I know many enjoy hearing it, but it is so very nice to have complete quiet here as I’ve moved out of state. No crime rate here either! Wow, such a difference!

11. Sadie   May 1, 2014 at 5:31 am

No crime rate!! We were just robbed last week. Rapists not caught??

12. oldmandan   May 1, 2014 at 8:00 am

Lee, I’ll bet Camp Pendleton was there long before you were.

13. MDK   May 1, 2014 at 8:04 am

Wow – These are the most uneducated comments I’ve ever seen.

@Lee – You need to do some research before you start spewing.

14. History Lessons   May 1, 2014 at 9:04 am

I’ve lived in Fallbrook for 26 years and don’t have a problem with some of the noise from Pendleton. I knew what I was getting into when I moved here.
    What I do have a problem with is the stupidity, arrogance and incompetency of our Marine and Navy neighbors.
    Remember several years ago when tons of napalm were being stored in leaking containers adjacent to residential areas? They finally disposed of this hazard only when there were complaints.
    How about the daily commuting disaster on Ammunition Rd caused by base traffic backing up into Fallbrook? The shopping center, FUSD and individuals have been complaining for years about this situation and we have been told a fix is coming "sometime" in the future.
    Remember 10+ years ago when the Marines decided to use I-15 as their flight path? Fortunately our rich neighbors in Poway and Rancho Bernardo complained about the noise and put an end to that nonsense.
    Unfortunately, complaining seems to be the only way to get a reaction from our Navy/Marine neighbors.

15. Pink   May 1, 2014 at 9:09 am

What state did you move to Mom of Lots? Hope all is well. We miss you!! God bless!!

16. Queen   May 1, 2014 at 12:56 pm

Love the Marine Corps and appreciate all that is done in order for us to so much as THINK about posting on such a forum. THANK YOU, to all who serve, have served, or will serve.

17. Queen   May 1, 2014 at 12:58 pm

In fact, THANK YOU to ALL who have served in each bbranch. (Pardon me, just noticed the extra "b’ think it had something to do with the horrible noise from Camp Pen…must have frightened me like a small 2.0 earth quake).

18. Beige   May 1, 2014 at 1:58 pm

What state did you move to Mom of Lots? Hope all is well. Are you better able to isolate your kids from the real world wherever you’ve moved to? Cali doesn’t miss you.

19. Erin   May 1, 2014 at 3:42 pm

"appreciate all that is done in order for us to so much as THINK about posting on such a forum"

What on earth are you talking about?

20. grunt   May 1, 2014 at 3:53 pm

Erin – I think she means that in much of the world people can’t safely express their thoughts without repercussions. You know, like the Arab world – try to be a Christian there; Marxist-communist etc.

21. Queen   May 1, 2014 at 4:24 pm

Yup, you hit the nail on the head grunt…that’s exactly what I meant. I guess I could have put some commas in there but, ah well, you clarified it for me, thank you.

22. another mom   May 1, 2014 at 5:09 pm

Or in the Central African Republic where Christians are slaughtering Muslims

Or in Uganda where Christians are passing laws to execute gay people.

Closer to home our marines will be detonating ordinance and firing mortars. Just brilliant (brilliantly stupid!) under these weather conditions.

23. grunt   May 2, 2014 at 8:30 am

Well off subject, but to another mom – You realize that in CAR, the Muslims overthrow the government and during" their time in power was marked by abuses and killings that led to the creation of Christian self-defense militias", right? While some of the actions of the "Christians" are of course wrong, they are defending their people from the Muslims. (http://www.nytimes.com/2014/04/28/world/africa/muslims-leave-central-african-republic-capital-under-escort.html) Did you also notice that the Christian Ugandan Churches and church leaders ALL opposed the "Kill a Gay" bill?

24. Pink   May 2, 2014 at 8:45 am

@Grunt: Anti Christian bigots only see what they want to see and disregard the rest.

On topic, I still have not heard any noise from the base, and I am in town??

25. grunt   May 2, 2014 at 10:03 am

LOL Pink, I am ON base, and have nothing either

26. not in my name   May 2, 2014 at 12:21 pm

A lot of evil has been done and continues to be done in the name of our faith. I’m always saddened to see people like this Mr. grunt above try to justify these atrocities. They are insupportable and I’m always saddened to see my fellow Christians say these things.

27. another mom   May 2, 2014 at 1:53 pm

To grunt: Hacking apart innocent Muslim women and children in the CAR is somehow defending Christians? http://graphics.latimes.com/flight-from-rage/

Uganda is overwhelmingly Christian. All the politicians who are behind this law cite their Christian faith and the Bible as their reasons to support.

Some Christian churches much to their credit have opposed the death penalty part of the law. Many MANY have not. So I guess then that they are all ok with throwing gays into prison for the life under this new law just as long as they aren’t killed.

To pink: I’m an anti Christian bigot because I simply point out to your friend that its not just Muslims engaging in atrocities? Speaking of being biased.

28. Lee   May 2, 2014 at 2:33 pm

@ #22 another mom & #26 not in my name

Agreed 100%! When God blesses America, everything, including murder, is, well, blessed. And good. And alright. And justified.

And right.

PS. The great thing about God is that he sees and watches ALL of us . . . including them there . . . GOOD Christians.

29. Lee   May 2, 2014 at 2:35 pm

Pink, surely YOU, a good and devout Christian are stoutly anti-war, correct?

After all, love they neighbor, nay, even . . . thy enemy.

30. Pink   May 2, 2014 at 2:57 pm

What did Grunt or I say to make you think we support atrocities "not"? Explaining that in some instances the Christians in those countries are being slaughtered as well as Muslims and that sometimes they have to defend themselves isn’t excusing anything, it is merely a fact of life. I find it interesting that is okay with some people to bash Christians, but Muslims can do anything they want to in the name of Allah and are given a pass. God does not want us to do harm to anyone, I love my Muslim brothers and sisters, i just don’t always approve of their methods. They believe in an angry and vindictive god, we Christians believe in a benevolent and loving God. After all if He wasn’t benevolent He wouldn’t have put up with us sinful fools for as long as He has. His arms are always open to let us in. There is good and bad in the world. Evil, no matter who commits it, comes from Satan, good comes from a benevolent and loving God. I’ve read the Book, and I know who wins.

31. Pink   May 2, 2014 at 4:20 pm

@Another mom: It would have been nice if you had made your last comment the first time. Many people, not unlike yourself, love to point out "Christians" who do bad things, without bothering to point all the Christians who do good. Ever hear of Mother Theresa? Atrocities are committed all the time, some in the name of one god or another, many atrocities are committed by godless people who simply love murder and mayhem. I condone none of it. As a Christian Lee, of course I am opposed to war, but even the Bible says "there will be wars and rumors of wars" would you prefer we had just allowed Hitler to continue murdering Jews? Pacifists are usually (not always) just cowards. By the way Lee, you still haven’t answered my question, do you know that Marines are part of "we the people"? Do you understand they take oreders from the President of the United States?

32. Welsh   May 2, 2014 at 6:28 pm

Religion. Just another excuse to do awful things to your neighbor.

33. grunt   May 3, 2014 at 8:41 am

Please notice I did NOT condone what "Christians" (I put it in "" for a purpose) did. Anyone can call themselves whatever they want – does not make them one. My original response was in dealing with free speech – and pointing out countries where it does, can not occur. Just to be clear: I do not agree, condone, excuse nor support genocide (racial, religious, sexual orientation), crimes against women, children or elderly, done in any name, Jesus, Allah, Mickey Mouse.

34. Queen   May 3, 2014 at 12:01 pm

@#30,31,33…again, hit the nail on the head.

35. Mom of lots   May 3, 2014 at 12:56 pm

We moved to Saline, Michigan and we are loving it here! Thank you! It’s the last place on the planet I’d imagine moving to, but my husband received a job promotion here. We moved here sight unseen. It’s been a fun adventure! Thank you for asking! :)

36. Mom of lots   May 3, 2014 at 12:57 pm

Oops, my post was for Pink! :)

37. Mom of lots   May 3, 2014 at 1:00 pm

Sadie, I meant no crime rate where I’ve moved.

38. LMAO   May 3, 2014 at 3:50 pm

Clearly the cat has Lee’s tongue. He either can’t or won’t answer. I’m guessing a bit of both. No guts, no glory Lee.

39. @35   May 3, 2014 at 5:03 pm