Public advised of late night artillery firing Wed., Aug. 20 – Thurs., Aug. 21

CAMP PENDLETON – Artillery units are conducting a live-fire training exercise here through Aug. 27 that will involve late night firing tomorrow and will continue until 3 a.m. Thursday, Aug. 21.

Camp Pendleton and neighboring cities may hear an increase of noise levels caused by howitzer fire, rocket fire, and mortars impacting the training area during the duration of the exercise.

Detailed information regarding increased noise levels may be found in the weekly noise advisories posted on the Marine Corps Base Camp Pendleton website at:

16 Responses to "Public advised of late night artillery firing Wed., Aug. 20 – Thurs., Aug. 21"

1. Mitch   August 19, 2014 at 1:37 pm

Can a civilian apply for PTSD?

2. carol Fross   August 19, 2014 at 2:47 pm

They have doing that for years. People that did not come the Big city know this,and it’s not news

3. Carol Fross   August 19, 2014 at 2:56 pm

Are you ready that scary of other opinion. My father a US Marine would tell one of saying, that make our county great" I will give my live for you to say what you think,and I will use my dying breath to change your mind" Think about my friend

4. noise   August 19, 2014 at 4:27 pm

Same complaint, different day. Yeah, it sucks sometimes, but it really is not that bad. You know where it sucks? The regular people in an ACTUAL war zone. We don’t have to worry about that here, in Fallbrook.

5. ERIN   August 19, 2014 at 5:44 pm

I find what makes the noise pleasant. Is to imagine how it must scare the bejesus or Mohhamed out the mud hut dwellers in the middle east.

6. StephenB   August 19, 2014 at 7:21 pm

Do you know what that sound is? It’s the sound of freedom.
    Semper Fi.

7. grunt   August 19, 2014 at 8:46 pm

Mitch – that was a cheap shot; PTSD is serious, for Marines it was NOT caused by some barely audible noise; go out, see your buddies legs blown off, get your bell rung with a TBI, kill some people, then talk about applying for PTSD.

8. Mitch   August 20, 2014 at 5:03 am

No cheap shot intended. I was actually being serious

9. SB   August 20, 2014 at 9:37 am

The weather is giving them fierce competition in the noise department. :)

10. weather   August 20, 2014 at 1:32 pm

Now those are real booms! I bet the noise complainers would complain if the natural booms stuck around for a full day or two also.

11. grunt   August 20, 2014 at 1:32 pm

@Mitch – You are serious? A little noise you think causes you PTSD? Where is the trauma in hearing a boom? Thunder was worse last night. I try not to get personnel, but your comment is insulting and idiotic. Have you talked to friends or family that served in VN, Iraq or Afghan and asked them what actually occurred? Marines, people in general, with true PTSD have had a major event in their lives- (for some women it is rape) Would you equate someone eyeballing you with the need to apply for PTSD as a rape victim? Imagine you are 19-23 year old, your good friend us bleed out on you – literally, his blood soaks your uniform; your hearing is gone except for the ringing of the explosion, you cannot stand as you are so badly concussed (sp ?). You just shot and killed three people…every night you wake up screaming, you are angry and do not know why, you close your eyes and see it all over again. That is PTSD, not being annoyed by sounds.

12. ERIN   August 20, 2014 at 2:21 pm

@ Mitch. I think you have a different type of PTSD.

13. De Luz Neighbor   August 20, 2014 at 10:23 pm

Grunt, are you talking about yourself again? This is yet further evidence that people expressing their opinion can be as antagonistic to the traumatized as loud noises.

But speaking of live-fire exercises, and if I may; I was on my roof photographing a wicked sunset yesterday evening (August 19). The clouds had turned a brilliant shade of red and almost filled the western sky. It was one or those times when a photo couldn

14. Tax Payer   August 21, 2014 at 9:43 am

I know someone who is on disability from the marines. He’s been on it since 2002. He runs a retail plant nursery and participates in cross country cycling. He gets $6,000 a month in disability from the US government. I know this because when he approached my family to buy out our property so he could expand his growing operation, he had the VA send us a copy of his disability award letter and had his bank send us copies of his bank statements to show that he was capable of paying.

Why this man is considered disabled while running a "hobby" business AND collecting 6 grand a month from the government is beyond me. We even called the fraud line at the Veteran’s Administration and made a report. Of course nothing ever happened and that was over 2 years ago.

15. grunt   August 21, 2014 at 10:10 am

Taxpayer – the max 100% disabled rate is $3263.21 plus $79 per child under 18 (after two). (http://www.vba.va.gov/bln/21/Rates/comp01.htm) The bank statement probably included his other income (retiredment? GI bill?). There is no fraud in him having a job and drawing disablity pay. (Now, some people are rated higher than we think they may rate, and others lower – won’t argue that).

De Luz Neighbor – not sure what you are talking about – the example is not me. I was upset, thought that someone claimed (seriously) to compare the sounds of artillery to what the Marine in the example suffered.

Glad you enjoyed seeing the AH1’s work out – real impressive from the ground too!

16. Paul   August 21, 2014 at 12:43 pm

@Tax Payer: Some disabilities cannot be seen. My son in law for example, lost his spleen. He doesn’t limp, he can do physical labor, he can run, bike, etc, but because he has no spleen he is susceptible to germs and illness. He lost it fighting for his country. He deserves his disability retirement because he was not allowed to stay in the military without a spleen. Get it? What kind of person calls the fraud hot line without all the information beforehand? Did you just assume he wasn’t disabled? If so, shame on you. You do know what assume stands for don’t you?