Solar power installer relocating to Riverside; bringing 1,000 jobs

RIVERSIDE – A company that specializes in the installation of solar energy products for homes and businesses will be establishing its headquarters in Riverside before year’s end, bringing or creating more than 1,000 jobs, its CEO announced today.

”We were looking at our expansion plans and realized that going to Riverside made sense because not only is it sunny most of the year, but the city is focused on green technology and development, and the area is growing,” said SolarMax Technology Inc. CEO David Hsu.

The company currently operates out of a complex in the city of Industry. Its new headquarters will be the previously shuttered Food Machinery Corp. building at 3080 12th St., adjacent to the downtown Metrolink station.

The mammoth structure is undergoing renovations that include a rooftop awash in solar collection panels to provide electricity.

”We will be looking for renewable technology partners … in geothermal, LED lighting, wind and water treatment,” Hsu said. ”We will create a one-stop solution for all green-related technology and truly develop Riverside as a green city.”

SolarMax touted 1,600 direct and indirect jobs connected to the enterprise, though it wasn’t clear how many of those will be existing positions and how many will be new ones. The company is transferring its sales and consumer financing departments to the new facility, as well as some distribution personnel.

SolarMax Tech Sales Director Guillermo Santomauro lauded the city and county of Riverside’s various rebate programs and tax incentives as good for business.

The U.S. solar manufacturing industry has been suffering from rapidly declining prices in recent years, mainly due to imports from China. In May, the Obama administration slapped tariffs on panels imported from China in a move to boost domestic production.

11 Responses to "Solar power installer relocating to Riverside; bringing 1,000 jobs"

1. Ray (the real one)   August 21, 2012 at 9:41 am

And in six months they will file for bankruptcy.

2. Pink   August 21, 2012 at 3:49 pm

The city of Riverside is located in a "bowl" the smog is so bad there that you can’t even see the sky there 9 months out of the year, much less the sun. I can think of several other cities that would have been a better choice. I wish them luck but I’m not holding my breath.

3. Terry Leather   August 21, 2012 at 4:53 pm

I plan on following the Owebama Solar model.

1. Bailouts (if you don

4. Reality Checker   August 22, 2012 at 7:13 am

Anything that staves off a collapse of the commercial real estate market is welcome, even if it’s just one business and even if it goes bankrupt in six months. Anything is better than nothing.
    Riverside county could be the only county in California that operates in the black if they play thier cards right and plan conservatively. Stop the big union pension payouts, strip back CBA’s to merely wage negotiations, root out fraud, waste and abuse; and don’t invest in risky high return investments while using the county tax payer as your insurance against your losses. Every time I pass a county worksite, I see as many brand new county work trucks parked there as I see workers standing around. It’s common sense. Common sense alone could fix 90% of this county’s problems. Root out corruption and use some common sense, I say. Everything else will work its self out and fall into place. Just because the rest of California is flushing itself down the proverbial toilet doesn’t mean we have to as well. Vote out all of the corrupt county supervisors, vote for candidates that have proven verifiable records. It’s isn’t hard, it isn’t rocket science. Just dig up their records, it’s public information. Look at what they voted for, and why. Look at who supports them, is even better. If they have had the support of a public union, or left wing group, you can bet they have been corrupted. Follow the money, is what I am saying. Be smart. Make your vote count, don’t just rely on some glossy mailer or sign posted somewhere, or familiarity of a name to decide who to vote for. What these people do once they are in office is hard to reverse, so make darn sure you really know who you are voting for. And, don’t just vote for they guy that you think will keep your gravy train running, or your little entitlement check coming in the mail the longest. Put country first, and everything else will take care of itself.

5. Timbo   August 22, 2012 at 9:16 am

Ray, Pink and Terry very sad comments.

6. Ray (the real one)   August 22, 2012 at 2:37 pm

Timbo: Sorry, but truth hurts sometimes…… Didn’t REM do a song about that?

7. Ray (the real one)   August 22, 2012 at 2:44 pm

Look folks, everyone knows it takes two gallons of fossil fuel to make one gallon of ethynol driving the cost of corn through the roof, than Oblamo passes his "shamnesty executive order". We need corn, how are we going to feed these freeloaders. Solar is not an option, the payback costs takes forever and is unreliable. Wind, well it’s for the birds, to power Fallbrook would require land the size of Fallbrook.

Nuclear folks…..
    and….. Drill baby, drill!

8. Ray (the real one)   August 22, 2012 at 2:58 pm

When I lived on Elbrook, I had a wind generator I made from an old General Motors alternator, A few old car batteries and an A.C. power inverter, worked fine for about 20% of the time. It ran my computer and printer, but I have a laptop, my can can run that. Cost me more in "junk parts" to build it than it paid back, but I was a "townie", little wind. See where I’m coming from folks.

For anyone "hillies" who wants to build such a device where wind is available, try it sometimes, might work for you for low power consumption devices like irrigation and barn lighting.

Anyone can do this, just takes thought.

9. Solarious   August 22, 2012 at 9:57 pm

To me the whole solar panel tied into the grid thing doesn’t make as much financial sense as reducing my usage. Solar power is very useful for heating applications, but it is still pretty expensive to make electricity with it. If it has to be subsidized it probably isn’t worth it.

10. Theone   August 23, 2012 at 9:08 am

Not sure why the negativity, this is a forward thinking move by a company planning to make Riverside it’s home, and it will create very needed jobs. We should praise businesses like this and invite others to move to Riverside. Welcome to Riverside!

11. Ray (the real one)   August 23, 2012 at 10:56 am

Theone: Did you read the story? no manufacturing jobs, just administration, sales and a few shipping and receiving positions. In addition it also said existing or new positions. Don’t count on many new positions.