Prepare to stay cool, Southwest Riverside County, as the weather is the top story of today, Sept. 8.
A high pressure over the region could push temperatures in our region into the low hundreds today in many areas. In addition, showers and thunderstorms caused by tropical moisture will increase the risk of flash flooding throughout the region.
A National Weather Service heat advisory will take effect at noon today, and extend until 6 p.m. Thursday night in the valleys around Riverside.
Ways to stay cool? The National Weather Service advises:
- Limit your exercise and activity until after the peak heat of the day.
- Drink plenty of water–while avoiding caffeine and alcohol
- Wear light or loose fitting clothing
- DO NOT LEAVE CHILDREN OR PETS IN ENCLOSED VEHICLES FOR ANY LENGTH OF TIME
Additionally a flash flood watch will be in force from noon today until Thursday evening in the mountains the San Gorgonio Pass near Banning and the Coachella Valley.
Temecula: Over the long weekend, a fire broke out on the second story of an apartment complex. Read more: READ MORE: TEMECULA: Apartment fire displaces two
Wildomar: A Labor Day car crash causes injuries, traffic woes in Wildomar, Sept. 7. READ MORE: WILDOMAR: Labor Day crash causes injures
High school football reigns the weekend with events across the county. Read Temecula, Murrieta, Lake Elsinore football scores and more.
- HS Football: Week One scores for Southwest Riverside County
- HS Football: Golden Bears manhandle Tigers, 39-15, in season opener
- HS Football: Nighthawk’s soar past Citrus Valley, win 44-21 at home
- HS Football: Puma offense struggles against Poly, lose 35-30
Falling, once again, the average price of a gallon of self-serve regular gasoline in Riverside and San Bernardino counties fell today by seven-tenths of a cent and now stands at $3.38 per gallon. Have you filled up lately? Send us your gas price pictures to our Facebook page. #VNCrew
The National Weather Service is forecasting highs of 110 in Palm Springs, 108 in Thermal, 107 in Indio and Blythe, 105 in Desert, Hot Springs, 103 in Riverside, 102 in Hemet, 101 in Corona, Moreno Valley and Lake Elsinore, 98 in Temecula, 85 in Idyllwild, and 71 on Mount San Jacinto.
Air quality today will be in the moderate range throughout Riverside County except the Riverside area where it will be unhealthful for sensitive groups.
For the latest in news, information, and entertainment in Southwest Riverside County, follow Valley News on Facebook.