Stepfather in custody on suspicion of murder of 3-year-old in Cabazon

CABAZON – The stepfather of a toddler found dead in Cabazon was in custody today on suspicion of murder.

Jesse Martinez, Jr., 32, faces charges of murder and child abuse causing great bodily, said Sgt. Brian Reno of the Riverside County Sheriff\'s Department.

Deputies went to a home in the 14600 block of Cabazon Street after receiving a 911 call at 1:17 a.m. Sunday about a child needing medical attention and found 3-year-old Ramon Jimenez, who was not breathing, he said.

The boy was transported to San Gorgonio Memorial Hospital in Banning, where he was pronounced dead. His injuries indicated he was the victim of a homicide, Reno said.

Martinez was being held at the Robert Presley Detention Center in lieu of $1 million. His first court appearance is scheduled for Wednesday.

Anyone with information regarding the boy\'s death was urged to call the sheriff\'s Central Homicide Unit at (951) 955-2777 or the Cabazon Station at (951) 922-7100.

3-year-old boy found injured in Cabazon pronounced dead at hospital

CABAZON – A 3-year-old boy found injured in Cabazon early today was declared dead at a hospital, and authorities were investigating the child\'s death, a sheriff\'s deputy acknowledged.

Deputy Craig Roberts of the Riverside County Sheriff\'s Department would not provide any details, but he told the Los Angeles Times that Ramon Jimenez was found \”severely injured\'\' at a home in the 1400 block of Cabazon Street.

The boy was taken to San Gorgonio Memorial Hospital in Banning, where he was pronounced dead, The Times reported on its Web site.

KTLA reported that family members told authorities they found the child bloodied and not breathing when they arrived at the home early today.

The boy may have been beaten, the TV station reported.

17 Responses to "Stepfather in custody on suspicion of murder of 3-year-old in Cabazon"

1. anony   January 31, 2010 at 2:59 pm

The stepfather’s family is devasted. I know the stepfathers grandparents. The family does not understand how this happened. Jesse loved the little boy as his own. No matter what happened it was a crazy motive to kill a boy.

2. David   February 2, 2010 at 2:06 pm

rumors are,that he didn’t do nothing to the boy, that the cops are just stereotyping another latino just cause he is bald,

3. anonymous   February 4, 2010 at 9:41 pm

i agree my tio loved ramon :(

4. me   February 8, 2010 at 9:42 am

how could people be in denial. even hospital workers talked about how he was beaten. do you call that love?

5. LAKERGIRL   February 17, 2010 at 11:39 am

This is a very tragic events that has happened! My thoughts and prayers go out to the family! It amazes me how quick people can jump to conclusions with no evidence whatsoever. Yes, we all want to blame somebody for the death of this innocent child, but we also need to think clearly and realize that it is not ok to put an innocent human being behind bars to endure torture for any amount of time! We’re supposed to be innocent until proven guilty,but it’s obvious, that this man is pretty much already presumed as guilty. Most likely because of the way he looks! I’m sure if he was a clean cut man in a business suit, who worked at a law firm or something, people would paint a different picture in their minds! I hope that all investigators involved follow proper procedures and do all things possible to find the actual person who commited this crime and put them behind bars! I doubt this man has even been given a lie detector test to prove his innosence! This is usually what happens to low or middle income people who are accused of a crime! It’s a very sad thing. People don’t care and they’re not treated the same as someone with a lot of money would be! I’m not sure of Jesse’s backround, but I wonder if any criminal profiling has been done in this case.
    I’m not saying this man is innocent or guilty, but based on what has been written about this case so far, there is nothin to incriminate him on! Come on, let’s not jump to conclusions people!

6. Annoyed   April 10, 2010 at 8:00 am

The judge and the jury will see any evidence there is to be shown. They will not convict an innocent man if there is no evidence of a crime. However, it’s highly unlikely that they would be holding an innocent man in custody. I don’t think you were all there when the crime was committed to see who did it and sometimes it is hard to believe that someone we love could committ such a horrible act. The facts will reveal themselves and justice will be served.

7. annoynmous   April 20, 2010 at 11:51 am

my tio chuy did love little ramon he would never do that too his step son

8. Diana   June 28, 2010 at 4:38 am

Hey Annoyed, did you know that Jesse is the one that found the baby hurt, did you know that Jesse is the one that called for help, did you know that Jesse was the one outside yelling and screaming for someone to help this baby when the firetruck pulled up. I know this because I was outside of their house when all of this was going on. If he was guilty and wanted to hurt that child he would not have done all that. You are painting him out to be a monster and monsters dont help someone after they hurt them. He was very good with these kids, you never heard him yelling, you never heard the kids crying, he took them to the park quite often, he was a good Daddy to those kids. Im not family and I cant exactly say I am a friend because we never hung out although my ex-husband used to be friends with him but I can say that living next door to him and living as close as we do that I did see alot of what was going on. In this community everybody knows everything that is going on at all times, you cant hide anything. I am a Mother and I was hurt as a child, more then any child should be so I will not stand for someone hurting a child. I believe with all my heart that Jesse did not hurt this child. Jesse was the only one home besides the little boys sister when Jesse found him so they automatically accused him, that was all they had. There is no evidence that he did this, and yes I have been to the court house to see this with my own eyes. To many people like to throw their negative opinions out there without facts and thats all they are is opinions. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion but when voicing your opinion you should have respect for everyone, this babys Mother, Grandma, Grandpa, Aunt, Uncle, etc reads these, have some respect for them. Almost 5 months later and there is still no evidence, amazing how that works. Not only that but not one since investigator or police officer asked any questions to anyone around. In an investigation of this kind, when the police SAW me and my family outside upon their arrival and knew that we were up during all of this, they should be asking questions so that they can get to the truth of this. No they NEVER did, not even still until this day, why… because they are just going off of their assumption instead of finding out what really happened and allowing this innocent baby rest in peace!!!

9. susie   July 28, 2010 at 8:32 am

That’s just sad… a baby doesn’t deserve that…we need justice

10. Anonymous   August 11, 2010 at 7:09 pm

I went to school with Chuy (elementary, middle, and high school) and I saw him physically assault three different people on three different occasions. On each occasions the person was defenseless or physically outmatched. One of them was even a special education student. I would not put this murder past Chuy. It’s not about being Mexican or White its about violence and I believe Chuy is a violent person.

11. crazy   August 30, 2010 at 7:07 pm

chuy beat up a special ed student, no way.

i knew him, he had gotten into fights in high school but he was never the one looking for trouble

12. jim   February 24, 2011 at 11:40 pm

DENIAL

13. unknown   April 18, 2012 at 6:26 pm

Its been a while but I would like to know what was the out come of this case?? where is the mother of this child?? what happen to the other child that was in the house??

14. InCourt   July 19, 2012 at 9:57 pm

Found guilty of 2nd degree murder and of child abuse leading to death. If you heard the case and saw the evidence, you would have had the same conclusion, too.

15. InCourt   July 19, 2012 at 10:02 pm

To Diana–the police did not ask you because you were not present. And if you attended the entire trial, like me, then you would have seen the evidence the was present and heard about Jesse’s past. YOU should go about speaking to the media without know the exact facts. What you have to offer would only be considered heresay.

16. Wow   December 1, 2012 at 6:48 pm

Was he on drugs when he did this. What did he receive.

17. Details?   June 5, 2013 at 3:28 pm

Anyone know what happened?? Details about the case? I was a friend of Chuy’s in HS, played ball together and was just wondering about him. I see he was convicted of 2nd degree murder but what were the circumstances? thanks.