UPDATE: HEMET: Teen brothers, 14 and 16, stabbed by older brother, survive harrowing ordeal

UPDATE: Tuesday, June 27 1:45 a.m.

Numerous emergency first responders rushed to the scene of a double stabbing involving three brothers. Timothy Franzese photo
Numerous emergency first responders rushed to the scene of a double stabbing involving three brothers. Timothy Franzese photo

HEMET —  Two teenage brothers, ages 14 and 16, who were both stabbed by their 19-year-old brother are expected to survive and fully recover from their injuries, according to police officials. The 14-year-old boy was stabbed in the neck and his 16-year-old brother was stabbed in the shoulder. The incident happened on the 300 block of Gilia Street in Hemet.

This incident comes on the heals of another bizarre and violent incident that happened just four days ago, where two men, one armed with a sword and the other armed with a crowbar, were both seriously injured in what officers at the scene called a “mutual fight.”

One of the men was stabbed, the other suffered a serious head injury.

After today’s double stabbing, a frantic 91 callers told City of Hemet emergency dispatchers that the 19-year-old suspect, identified as Andrew Rangel, was still armed with the knife and was seen stalking up and down the street searching for his two injured brothers.

Hemet police officers arrived within minutes of the dispatched call and just one minute after their arrival at the bloody crime scene, they had taken Rangel into custody without incident. He was found about a block from where the stabbings happened.

Firefighter/paramedics treated the two brothers at the scene for what one medic at the scene described as very serious injuries.

AMR medics rushed the 14-year-old who had been stabbed in the neck to Riverside University Health System – Medical Center’ Trauma Center in Moreno Valley. The 16-year-old was transported to Inland Valley Medical Center.

“Both juveniles were treated for their injuries which were determined to be non-life threatening,” Hemet Police Lieutenant Eddie Pust said in a written press release.

After he was detained, Rangel was taken to a hospital for a mental health evaluation. Officials have not specified if Rangel was going to be charged regarding the violent incident or what charges he could be facing.

Based on the circumstances, members of the Hemet Police Investigations Bureau responded to the scene and assumed the investigation.

“This is still an active and ongoing investigation and no further information will be released at this time,” said Pust.


HEMET — Hemet Police and Fire officials raced to the aid of two brothers, ages 14 and 15, whose brother stabbed them both during an altercation this afternoon, Monday, June 26. The bloody and violent incident happened on Gilia Street near S. Village Loop, east of N. State Street and north of Newport Road, in Hemet.

Police and Fire personnel were called to the scene at 1:26 p.m., after a frantic family member called 911 to report that an adult, 19-year-old, family member had stabbed two of his teenage brothers. They described the Hispanic adult suspect as schizophrenic, very large and heavy-set and said he was very violent at times.

The caller described the two teens as 14 and 15 years old and told emergency dispatchers the 19-year-old brother stabbed one of the teens in the neck and the other in the chest. One was possibly also stabbed in the arm. Both were reportedly still conscious, but bleeding heavily and in need of immediate medical intervention.

As officers were responding to the area, officials requested less lethal options – such as a bean bag shotgun and pepperball launchers – and requested air support from Riverside County Sheriff’s Star-9.

With the 19-year-old suspect still armed with a knife – and reportedly stalking up and down the street searching for his already badly injured brothers – officers rushed into the dangerous, volatile and still active crime scene, arriving within minutes of the dispatched call.

Moments after the first officers arrived at the scene and less than one minute after their arrival, at 1:32 p.m. – just six minutes after the first 911 call was dispatched – officers at the scene reported having the suspect detained, without incident.

City of Hemet firefighter/paramedics and AMR ambulances, which had been staging at a safe location nearby, quickly rolled into the area and immediately began evaluating and treating the two injured boys.

Medical officials at the scene called for an expedited air ambulance, however the closest available air ambulance was nearly 20 minutes away.

Within minutes, AMR medics were rushing the most dire of the two injured brothers to Riverside University Health System’s trauma center.

The other injured child was also transported by ground ambulance to an area hospital.

As of this report, officials are still at the scene of the violent and bloody double stabbing, investigating what led to the potentially fatal incident.

This is a breaking news story and will be updated as information becomes available.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.