Woman fatally mauled by dogs identified

SAN DIEGO – (PRESS RELEASE) – The 30-year-old woman who was fatally mauled by one or more of the eight American bulldogs outside a Fallbrook house she was hired to clean was publicly identified today.

Remedios Romero-Solares of Fallbrook was found dead behind the home at 1305 Calle Tecolotlan about 5:15 p.m. Sunday, according to the San Diego County Medical Examiner’s Office, who listed her cause of death as ”multiple penetrating, mauling and blunt-force injuries.” The Medical Examiner’s Office ruled her death an accident.

Romero-Solares was found dead by a cousin who had gone to pick her up from cleaning the house while the residents were out of town, sheriff’s Lt. Glenn Giannantonio said.

The Department of Animal Control impounded the dogs and would continue to investigate to determine whether criminal charges would be filed against the homeowners, the lieutenant said.

The muscular, strong-framed dogs, one of which weighs more than 100 pounds, were being held at a pound in Carlsbad and the one or ones that are found to have attacked the victim will be deemed non-adoptable and euthanized, according to DAS spokesman Dan DeSousa.

While deputies were checking the residence for others who had been injured by the animals, they found two dozen marijuana plants growing in a rear bedroom of the home, Giannantonio said.

Investigators with the San Diego County Narcotics Task Force were called in to seize the cannabis and determine who was responsible for its presence in the residence, he said.

22 Responses to "Woman fatally mauled by dogs identified"

1. nickycc   November 18, 2012 at 9:07 am

my heart goes out to the family of the lady who died. no one needs eight dogs, especially vicious bulldogs, perhaps pitbulls. who said the pot was not leagaly being grown?

2. Pink   November 18, 2012 at 8:52 pm

I’m guessing the dogs were there to guard the pot. To the family of Ms. Romero-Solares, please accept my sincere condolences.

3. Re nickycc   November 18, 2012 at 8:57 pm

No one may "need" that many dogs, but that does not mean that it isn’t ok. Sadly, we don’t know the situation or what truthfully happened, all we know is that the dogs (or a dog) was the cause of this woman’s death. These owners may not have been a proper home for even one dog, we don’t know. But the poor behavior and actions that took place have a tremendous amount to do with the owner and the way the OWNER treated and trained his/her dogs. My sympathies go out to the woman’s family but I am also extremely sad for these dogs. And the article obviously says "American Bulldog", nothing about Pits. Pits are not a vicious breed, I have 2, and they are the most LOVING dogs I have EVER known. It isn’t the dog you ever have to worry about, it’s a bad OWNER.

4. Old Fallbrook local   November 18, 2012 at 11:06 pm

Were they raising pot to pay for dog food for eight dogs?

5. nickycc   November 19, 2012 at 7:07 am

pitbulls have been bred to kill, thats why thier jaws crush and lock down. i was attacked by two pits at once- the sheriff shot both dogs.

6. Preston   November 19, 2012 at 8:54 am

Re nickycc, you apparently ignore all statical data and base your opinion on the fact that the two Pits you own have been loving, so far. The fact is, Pit Bulls (including the loving ones) are more likely to kill their owners (including the good owners) or someone else than other dog breeds, please do some research, the data is overwhelming. With all the wonderful breeds available I see no reason to promote Pit bulls.

7. Wordsmith   November 19, 2012 at 1:54 pm

What a horrible way to die! So very tragic. My sympathy to all concerned. People don’t realize the power of dogs in a pack – 8 dogs is a pack and it creates a pack mentality. When the alpha strikes they all follow – it is instinct. We don’t know why this worker went into the yard with the dogs – maybe to feed them or maybe she had been told NOT to go in there – we don’t have the entire story. Regardless of how or why she went in with the dogs it was a terrifying end to her life. So sorry.

8. Julie   November 19, 2012 at 2:09 pm

Here we go again…dog kills someone and "pitbull" is brought up. I have owned five and they all are different. There are bad dogs and there are good dogs. It’s just that these backyard breeders are breeding these animals for money and not family purposes so they are kept tied up in the backyard and not socialized and when they do escape they are so scared of the world they do bad things unfortunantly it’s the pitbull breed because that’s all anybody can do to make a buck or two. STOP THE BACKYARD BREEDERS AND YOU WILL STOPY THE DOG ATTACS. @NICKYCC, IM WITH YOU! DOGS ARE NOT BORN TO BE MEAN OR FIGHT "HUMANS" MAKE THEM THAT WAY.

9. Re nickycc   November 19, 2012 at 4:14 pm

I’m sorry you suffered a traumatic incident with the breed but you’re still wrong. There are other dogs that have strong jaws as well, and other deadly attributes, but that doesn’t make the breed a bad breed. As I stated before, it has everything to do with the way the dog was raised. A Chihuahua can be trained to be just as vicious as a Pitbull can. The breed has a bad reputation because bad PEOPLE did terrible things to these dogs and caused them to do terrible things to others. But again, it’s the people’s fault.

10. Re preston   November 19, 2012 at 4:17 pm

I don’t base my information strictly on the fact that I have 2 pitbulls. I have done my research, matter of fact I have written many reports on this. And I’m sorry to inform you, but Dalmations are actually more likely to turn on their owner (good or bad) for no reason whatsoever than a pitbull.

11. Here's your statistics   November 19, 2012 at 4:32 pm

This article proves that Pitbulls are no more aggressive than any other dog. I rest my case. If you choose to stay ignorant and not read the article, tha’s your decision to stay closed minded.

12. Wow   November 19, 2012 at 9:05 pm

This article is about a women dying not about.pitbulls ….u people need to seriously get a life whi gives a rats a.. wat the statistics say there is 1 dead women and who knows how many of the dogs will die!!!! Its all very sad

13. John   November 19, 2012 at 9:43 pm

What Pit Bulls?????? The article says it was American Bulldogs. A much bigger bred of dog than a Pitbull. I can’t believe how many stories posted on the VN get so totally distorted in the comment section. Amazing!!!!

John

14. Greg Sr.   November 20, 2012 at 12:50 am

I knew that as soon as I saw the headline, the comments would end up being about Pitbulls even though no Pitbulls were involved.
    It is amazing how many mis-informed people will jump on the anti-Pitbull band wagon.

I know my experience with my Pitbull does not prove anything about Pitbulls one way or the other. But, my 93 pound Pitbull is the most gentle non-aggressive dog I have ever owned. I can reach into her food bowl while she is eating and she will simply wait for me to move my hand. When she is in the house, she acts like a puppy and curls up on my lap. She can’t stop wagging her tail even when she is drinking her water.

The "bad" Pitbulls are bred to be fighters. That’s a problem with the owner, not the dog.

15. Just the facts   November 20, 2012 at 7:22 am

Re: Here’s your statistics,

The article you site doesn’t provide any statistics at all and definitely doesn’t even imply that "pitbulls are no more aggressive than any other dog". You need to take a class in reader comprehension. A real study would have compared the number of dog attacks for each breed compared to the number of each breed in the study. You only prove that there is some really bad information on the internet. Keep on looking and you may find a real study with actual statistics. However, be prepared, it may show that you are wrong.

16. vicious Chihuahuas   November 20, 2012 at 7:33 am

@ nickycc is absolutely right. "A Chihuahua can be trained to be just as vicious as a Pitbull can."

I have been attacked by a vicious band of Chihuahuas. They are brutally efficient. My ankles will never be the same. I’m lucky to have survived.

And I also find that Pit Bull owners never distort statistics and language to match their unique perspective on reality.

17. Preston   November 20, 2012 at 8:44 am

We all know that statistics can be skewed to prove a point and we all should know that any dog breed can bite, its what they do. My point is more simple, We don’t need to promote a dog breed as a family pet that can easily kill its owners, their children or others especially when there are so many great breeds to choose from.

18. Brookie   November 20, 2012 at 9:57 am

Top 10 Most Dangerous Dog Breeds

Nuff said!

p.s. any word on the owners?

19. Preston   November 21, 2012 at 8:37 am

vicious Chihuahuas, your comment made my day — I don’t believe I have ever laughed that much while reading the Village News. Just one question — Where did you encounter this "vicious band of Chihuahuas" as my imagination has been running wild. By the way, sorry about your ankles — I cant help but think how it would have turned out if you had been a grape stomp-er or a kicker on a football team. All kidding aside, and as I said before, any dog can bite, my concern is those that push a breed for a family pet, that can easily kill (especially children) when they do bite.

20. Taylor   November 21, 2012 at 5:27 pm

Sad Sad situation here for all of them including the dogs! smh

21. Is this PC?   November 22, 2012 at 8:10 am

I’m surprised the PC police haven’t shown up here yet and shut this down. All this racist dog talk has got to have their …….

22. somebody   November 23, 2012 at 11:11 pm

i have just heard of this tragedy and as a maid let me tell you all that i cannot believe people have used this forum for their own causes. (i.e. marijuana laws, pitbull owners ect.) A woman who cleans you guys’ sad mess. This woman deserves more respect for being a hard working person like any other American. Too bad people are doing their best to soften and hide the real truth. My respects are for her family(wherever they may be) and for the maids and housekeepers everywhere who will have to go to work tomorrow and face other dogs like that everyday.