MORENO VALLEY – Nearly 200 residents of a west Moreno Valley neighborhood were briefly without electricity today after a transformer blew up as temperatures soared into the triple digits.
The transformer fire was reported about 1:30 p.m. in the 25300 block of Filaree Avenue, near Gabriel Street, according to the Riverside County Fire Department.
Crews reached the location less than five minutes later and found electrical equipment smoking, but there was no active fire, according to reports from the scene.
Southern California Edison technicians were summoned and were able to get electrical service restored by 2:30 p.m. The temperature in Moreno Valley at the time was 103 degrees.