INDIO – Two people sustained burn injuries today in a gas explosion that sparked an apartment fire.
The explosion and fire were reported about 3:30 p.m. in the 44000 block of King Street, said April Newman of the Riverside County Fire Department.
Firefighters were dispatched on a call of a gas odor coming from an apartment prior to the explosion. It took them about 15 minutes to put out the flames.
One person was airlifted to a hospital with major injuries, while a second patient was taken to a hospital by ambulance with moderate injuries, Newman said.
Police blocked Indio Boulevard in both directions surrounding King Street.