SAN JACINTO – The deputy-involved fatal shooting of a pit bull in San Jacinto was under investigation today.

Deputies responded around 1:05 p.m. Wednesday to a report of a woman screaming in the 600 block of Main Street, said Riverside County sheriff’s Sgt. Michael Canizales.

As deputies arrived, a man, later identified as 37-year-old Shawn Gaylord Sikes of Lake Matthews, ran from the scene and through several back yards, Canizales said.

The deputies chased him and were about to search a backyard in the 100 block of Brinton Street when they were attacked by a pit bull that bit one of them, he said.

The deputies shot the dog, which was pronounced dead at the scene, Canizales said, adding that neither deputy was injured.

Sikes, meanwhile, was arrested on an outstanding felony burglary warrant and booked into the Larry D. Smith Correctional Facility in Banning, Canizales said.

He was being held in lieu of $25,000 bail and is due in court in Murrieta on Friday, according to sheriff’s jail records.

6 Responses to "Deputy-involved pit bull shooting under investigation; man arrested for burglary"

1. whaa   May 12, 2013 at 1:26 pm

how do you get bitten by a pit bull but not injured

2. Bob   May 13, 2013 at 1:01 pm

Outrageous: How does a police officer have a right to shoot a dog properly restrained on private property and protecting its owners property? The Officer could of simply stayed out of the yard and should be fired immediately! If I see someone shooting at my dog I’m shooting back!

NOTE FROM VALLEY NEWS: Bob, the Valley News makes every effort to review and either approve, edit, or delete comments within 24 hours.

3. Joe B   May 13, 2013 at 1:32 pm

I hope the dogs family sues and wins huge sum!

4. @ #2 & #3   May 14, 2013 at 1:04 pm

It is a dog. Who cares? Calm down… yes… calm down. More will be born to kill and be killed, don’t worry.

5. Preston   May 16, 2013 at 6:41 am

@#4, I rarely recommend therapy but in your case I recommend you seek it as soon as possible.

6. @#5   May 16, 2013 at 8:23 am

thank you, I will rush to do that right way. right… :^)