Menifee checkpoint leads to grandmother’s arrest, children placed with CPS

The Menifee Police Department Traffic Unit arrested two people for driving under the influence and cited 10 others for driving without a proper license between 8:00 p.m. Saturday and 2:00 a.m. today at a drug and alcohol checkpoint in the area of Scott Road and Haun Road in Menifee, a Sheriff’s official reported today.

During the hours the checkpoint was in operation, police officials screened 936 vehicles. Of those vehicles, 50 were sent to secondary screening areas and 18 drivers were given field sobriety tests. No drivers were arrested for suspicion of driving while under the influence of a drug, but two were arrested for suspicion of driving while under the influence of alcohol.

One grandmother, who was arrested for DUI, was also charged with child endangerment because she was driving two of her grandchildren while impaired, according to Sgt. J.P. Strang.

The children were later released to Child Protective Services, Strang said.

10 other drivers were cited or arrested for driving without a license or driving on a suspended one. Additionally, two two drivers who were checked had arrest warrants in their name, according to Strang.

This checkpoint was established to deter drunk drivers from getting on the road and to limit the number of drug and alcohol-related crashes that happen in the area. It was funded by a grant from the California Office of Traffic Safety, through the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.

3 Responses to "Menifee checkpoint leads to grandmother’s arrest, children placed with CPS"

  1. A 54 Yr old GrandMother   September 2, 2014 at 7:56 am

    Great JOB!! Even the mild infractions, and warrant pick ups. Sorry dudes but all of us have to have current registrations, insurance and a drivers license and I personally do not care what excuse you have for not having one!
    As far as the Grandmother, let me get a piece of you! I am a mild mannered Grandmother until it comes to irresponsible, dumb, ignorant drunks of any age, and you lady take the cake. Not only endangering others driving the roads that night but also with your own two grand children in the car with YOU!! Fine, dont care about yourself, get drunk, run off the highway, but leave your grand kids out of the car next time you sorry excuse for a human being.
    Parents of these two children…….you didnt know your Mother was a drunk? Wish our sentences were harsher so everyone spends time behind bars for DUI whether they get in a wreck or not.

  2. Reality Checker   September 2, 2014 at 6:25 pm

    Undocumented drivers, 10 of them eh? Theyre just trying to get to the benefits center, give them a break. Right moonbeam?

  3. GalacticCannibal   September 8, 2014 at 9:51 am

    The propaganda and hypocrisy of our so called safe driving , beggars belief. The facts are that 58% of all fatal car driving accidents did not involve an impaired driver , where the drivers caused the accidents. The other 42% of fatal vehicle accidents involved impaired drivers. legal drugs (alcohol) or illegal drugs.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.