Police officer suffers injury, partner bitten by dog during arrest

MURRIETA – A police officer suffered injuries to his wrist and his partner was bitten by a dog during the arrest today of a hostile suspect at his Murrieta home.

Jason McAllister, 26, was apparently high on drugs when officers confronted him outside his home in the 27500 block of Pinyon Street, near Murrieta Oaks Avenue, around 6:25 a.m., according to police.

McAllister was allegedly trying to stop vehicles passing through the area, prompting motorists to call police, said Sgt. Sandra O’Donnell.

When two patrol officers arrived, the suspect became ”very aggressive,” as though under the influence of a controlled substance, and cursed the officers, O’Donnell said.

When the lawmen approached McAllister, he ran toward his front door, slamming an iron gate behind him, which caught an officer on the left wrist, bruising it, according to O’Donnell.

”McAllister was pushed from behind … and he fell to the ground,” O’Donnell said. ”A struggle with McAllister ensued, and he was shot with a Taser, which had little effect on him.”

During the struggle, one of the suspect’s pit bulls charged an officer and bit him on the left cheek, puncturing his face, according to O’Donnell.

”The pit bull was shot with a Taser by the same officer, and (the dog) ran out the front door,” O’Donnell said.

Backup officers arrived and assisted in corralling and handcuffing the combative suspect, according to O’Donnell.

Two pit bulls on the property were seized by animal control officers. McAllister was taken to Rancho Springs Medical Center in Murrieta for treatment of a pre-existing injury apparently exacerbated by the fight with police, according to O’Donnell.

McAllister was later transferred to the jail ward at Riverside County Regional Medical Center in Moreno Valley.

The injured officers were treated and released from Inland Valley Regional Medical Center in Wildomar.

McAllister was taken into custody on suspicion of battery on a peace officer and resisting arrest by use of force, both felonies, O’Donnell said. He remained hospitalized late this afternoon.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.