Murrieta Mesa recognized 34 student-athletes Monday night at their 2013-14 College Athletic Night. Eleven were recognized as scholarship athletes going on to play at the college level.
The event was attended by Assistant Superintendent Darren Daniel of the Murrieta Valley Unified School District and Barbara Morgan, professor at Point Loma University.
Murrieta Mesa Principal Steve Ellis congratulated the students not for being selected, but for earning their awards through their commitment and dedication and that of their parents as
“Be significant” was the message from Assistant Superintendent Daniel, who had earned a scholarship to University of Arizona as an offensive lineman. “I had a great dream,” said Daniel, “What I learned was how to be significant, how to serve others, how to handle adversity. Your leadership role is being watched by others.”
Varsity Pride Winners included: Nick Fisher (cross country), Anastasia Oshiro (cross country); Bryson Bridges (football); Karma Richards (golf); Gina Arce (tennis); Meghan Bartko (volleyball); Ty Gilbert (water polo); Kristijan Fogarasi (basketball); Camille Bell (basketball); Zachary Wilson (soccer); Kristiana Peraza (soccer); Mackenzie Rudolph (water polo); Thomas McCraw
(wrestling); Bradley moss (baseball); Andrew Meer (golf); Alexis Watts (softball); James Pulley (swimming); Jazmin Handorf (swimming); Oliver Cheng (tennis); Shawn Williams
(track); and Lauren Coomber (track).
Emily Buechler and Davian Neitz were recognized as the Athletes of the Year. They were among five Tri-Sport Varsity Athletes. Buechler participated in cross country, soccer and track; Neitz in football basketball and track. Bryan Phan also did football, basketball and track. McCraw was on the football, wrestling, and track teams. Lindsey Seal played volleyball, water polo and was on the swim
Eleven scholarship athletes were recognized (along with their parents):
* Dylan Branch, Volleyball, University of Alaska, biology
* Mary Katie Brown, Cross country and track, Point Loma University, nursing
* Hailey Casas, softball, Briarcliff University in Iowa, nursing
* Savannah Chadd, soccer, San Bernardino Valley College, education
* Lauren Coomber, track, UC San Diego, biochemistry (pharmacy)
* Nicole Holbrook , volleyball, Grossmont College, business
* Audrianna Holloway, track, UC Santa Barbara, bio-psychology
* Ruben Meza, football, Sacramento State, business
* Billy Montoya, football, Greenville College in Illinois, business management
* Kristiana Peraza, soccer, Cal Poly Pomona, biochemistry (pre-med)
* Jacob Wallace, football, Central Methodist in Missouri, business