Newest Arsenal GU11 team goes the distance in first tournament

Last weekend was a great weekend for the newest Arsenal GU11 team as they were finalists in the Arsenal Summer Classic.

The eleven girls that donned their uniforms for the first time gave it their all playing 200 minutes of soccer over four matches without any subs during this soccer tournament in Temecula Valley.

“Not only was this their first time they playing as a team, but also their first time playing 11 v 11 soccer,” said Coach Kevin Legg who added, “ They definitely had a lot of turf to cover on those monstrous fields.”

The first match on Saturday was a 10 a.m. game against the DMCV Sharks at Birdsall Sports Park in Temecula. Arsenal scored first with a tap in goal by Talia Stacy off of a free kick from Kendra Cervantes.

DMCV Sharks answered with two goals over the next two halves. Arsenal delivered again when Talia was fouled in the box and drilled her penalty kick tying it up 2-2. This match ended in a hard fought tie.

The second game of the day kicked off at 4:45 at Birdsall Sports Park versus a fellow Arsenal team from Ontario. The game was off to a slow start, but Talia Stacy was able to find the net, giving Arsenal FC South a 1-0 lead going into the second half. Things really opened for the girls as they found the net seven more times during the second half with a goal from Kaylee Nicotero and two hat tricks from Adrianna Cortez and Kalia Thunstrom giving them an 8-0 victory.

Match number 3 was a must tie for the girls if they were to advance to the finals. It was an early kickoff Sunday morning at 8 a.m. at Dorothy McElhinney Middle School in Murrieta against West Coast FC. The signs of fatigue were setting in from the previous day’s battles, as Arsenal FC South went down 1-0 within the first 15 minutes.

Just when all hope was lost and it appeared the girls run was over, Arsenal FC South answered on a set piece. Talia Stacy delivered a beautiful corner kick in the 20th minute of the second half and Kalia Thunstrom was in the right position for the tap in. They went on to hold West Coast FC to a tie and were advancing to the finals!

The finals got underway at 1:25 p.m. at Birdsall Sports Park where they were to face the DMCV Sharks again. The Sharks were just too much for the Arsenal girls to handle and when all was said and done the match ended with a 3-0 victory for the Sharks.

“All in all it was a great weekend of soccer for the girls, they left everything they had on the field and walked away with a finalist medal and we could not be more proud,” Assistant Coach Heidi Solis said.

For more information visit

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.