County approves construction administration work order for French Valley Airport runway rehabilitation

0
172
(Courtesy of Google)

Mead and Hunt Inc. will provide the construction administration services for the rehabilitation of the French Valley Airport runway and two taxiways.

A 4-0 Riverside County board of supervisors vote Oct. 1, with Karen Spiegel absent, approved a work order agreement which will pay Mead and Hunt up to $319,655. The county supervisors also delegated change order authority to the assistant county executive officer.

The work will rehabilitate the pavement of Runway 18-36 – airport runways are numbered based on the direction of approach; 18 translates into a due south approach while 36 applies to a due north approach – along with Taxiway A and the connector taxiway. A 5-0 Riverside County board of supervisors vote May 21 authorized the clerk of the board of the supervisors to advertise the project for bids while also approving the plans and specifications. The work will include demolition and removal of existing asphalt pavement, surface treatments, crack repair, slurry seal, construction of paving sections and pavement markings.

The Federal Aviation Administration has an Airport Improvement Program which provides grants covering up to 90% of a qualified project’s total cost, and the FAA will fund 90% of the construction administration cost. The county’s Aviation Budget Fund will provide the revenue for the remaining 10% of the expenses. The construction will begin once the county receives the funding from the FAA and is expected to take approximately four weeks to complete.

Joe Naiman can be reached by email at jnaiman@reedermedia.com.