Esper says no military for protests as standby troops leave

0
31
ZEKE MILLER and ROBERT BURNS Associated Press WASHINGTON (AP) — Defense Secretary Mark Esper said Wednesday he opposes using military forces for law enforcement in containing current street protests, tamping down threats from President Donald Trump, who had warned states he was willing to send troops to "dominate" the streets. Less than 48 hours after the president threatened to use the Insurrection Act of 1807 to contain protests if governors were not able to get a handle on unrest, Esper said it should be invoked in the United States "only in the most urgent and dire of situations." He declared, "We are not in one of those situations now." Esper, at Trump's encouragement, had already authorized the movement of about 1,300 active-duty Army units to military bases just outside the n
Subscribe or log in to read the rest of this content.