MENIFEE – The safety of everyone traveling is the focus of a grant awarded to the Menifee Police Department. A $115,000 grant from the California Office of Traffic Safety (OTS) will assist in Menifee Police Department’s efforts to reduce deaths and injuries on Menifee roads.
“Our priority is the safety of the public,” Menifee PD Sergeant Matthew Bloch said. “Partnering with the Office of Traffic Safety will allow us to multiply our resources and increase our ability to deter improper driving habits, with the intent of keeping everyone safe while on the roadways.”
The one-year grant is for the 2021 federal fiscal year, which runs from Oct. 1, 2020, to Sept. 30, 2021.
The grant will fund a variety of traffic safety programs, including:
- Patrols with emphasis on alcohol and drug-impaired driving prevention.
- Patrols with emphasis on awareness and education of California’s hands-free cell phone law.
- Patrols with emphasis on the education of traffic rights for bicyclists and pedestrians.
- Patrols with emphasis on awareness and education of primary causes of crashes: excess speed, failure to yield, failure to stop at stop signs/signals, improper turning/lane changes.
- Patrols specifically looking for seat belt and child safety seat violations.
- Conducting DUI Checkpoints, which will focus on educating the public on the dangers of driving while under the influence of alcohol and/or drugs.
- Community education presentations on traffic safety issues such as distracted driving, DUI, speed, bicycle and pedestrian safety.
- Collaborative efforts with neighboring agencies on traffic safety priorities.
- Officer training and/or recertification: Standard Field Sobriety Test (SFST), Advanced Roadside Impaired Driving Enforcement (ARIDE) and Drug Recognition Expert (DRE).
- Creating “Hot Sheets” identifying repeat DUI offenders.
“Through education and behavior changes, we hope to create an environment that is safe and equitable for all road users in our community,” Sgt. Bloch said.
Funding for this program was provided by a grant from the California Office of Traffic Safety, through the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.
Submitted by the Menifee Police Department