Some sex assault victims collect own evidence amid pandemic

0
46
OLGA R. RODRIGUEZ Associated Press SAN FRANCISCO (AP) — Fears of getting infected with the coronavirus have prompted authorities in Northern California to allow some sexual assault victims to collect evidence with a nurse directing them in the hourslong process through a video call. The temporary measure put in place in Monterey County after shelter-in-place orders were issued last month to stop the spread of the virus raises issues of evidence contamination and other problems that would be challenged in court, defense attorneys said. Monterey County Deputy District Attorney Lana Nassoura said Thursday the temporary measure doesn't apply to victims of sexual assault who are children or who have been injured and is allowed when the victim is comfortable and able to conduct the forensi
Subscribe or log in to read the rest of this content.