Human hantavirus infection reported in Riverside County

Doctor with stethoscope
Valley News - Health
A hantavirus infection involving a Riverside County resident who was likely exposed to disease-laden mice droppings in the Whitewater area prompted health officials Thursday, Oct. 28, to remind residents to take precautions in places inhabited by rodents. According to the county Department of Public Health, the patient, whose identity was not disclosed, became ill with viral symptoms earlier this month and was hospitalized but is now recovering at home. The hantavirus infection is believed to be the first in the county since testing for the pathogen began in 1993, officials said. “The confirmation of this case reminds us of the importance of key safety practices when coming in contact with animals and the bacteria and viruses they may bring with them and leave behind,” Deput
Subscribe or log in to read the rest of this content.