Firefighters battle hot spots in vegetation along Bautista Canyon Road as the Fairview Fire continues to grow. Valley News/Shane Gibson photo

HEMET (CNS) – Firefighters are making progress battling the Fairview
Fire near Hemet with containment at 98%  and full containment expected some
time today, authorities said.

All remaining areas around the fire perimeter under an evacuation
warning and road closures have been lifted.

“The marine layer moved in again overnight with low clouds and patchy
drizzle,” Cal Fire reported Friday morning. “Clouds will clear by mid-
morning with sunny skies in the afternoon.” No fire growth is expected.

The fire has burned 28,307 acres and has been active for 10 days. It
has caused two deaths and destroyed at least 22 structures, according to the
unified command fighting the fire. It was 91% contained as of 8 p.m. Thursday.
Two first responders were reported injured and five structures were reported
damaged by fire.

There were 2,132 firefighters assigned to the fire on Tuesday, working
under a unified command consisting of Cal Fire Riverside, the U.S. Forest
Service, the Riverside County Fire Department and Riverside County Sheriff’s
Department. The fire was still threatening 112 structures.

All evacuation orders have been lifted. The evacuation centers at
Tahquitz High School and the Temecula Community Center were closed Tuesday.
Redlands East Valley High School remained open for individuals who were
impacted by possible debris flows.

Officials also set up a recovery call center that has been opened to
assist residents who had their home damaged or destroyed in the fire. The
number is 951-358-5134 and will be staffed weekdays from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.

The fire was reported shortly after 2 p.m. on Sept. 5 on Fairview
Avenue and Bautista Road.

Two civilians were killed and one was severely burned early in the
fire. Sheriff’s officials confirmed Wednesday the two deceased victims were
found inside a vehicle in the 42400 block of Avery Canyon Road in East Hemet
Sept. 5, apparently overcome by the flames while trying to leave.

The two victims have not been formally identified by authorities, but
friends identified them to reporters as Ian Compton and his daughter Mikayla
Porter, who had autism. Friends said their family pets were also killed.

Compton’s wife, Tina, was severely burned and remains hospitalized. A sheriff’s
official said Wednesday the woman, who was found outside the vehicle on Avery
Canyon Road, was expected to survive.

The Riverside County Emergency Management Department declared a local
emergency Wednesday due to the fire, enabling the county to apply for federal
and state relief. The Board of Supervisors formally approved the proclamation
during its meeting Tuesday. Gov. Gavin Newsom declared a state of emergency
covering the fire zone last week.

The cause of the fire was under investigation. In a document filed
with the California Public Utilities Commission, Southern California Edison
reported “circuit activity” in the area close to the time the fire erupted.

Copyright 2022, City News Service, Inc.