Smoke in utility room prompts evacuation of Winchester school

0
65
An electrical malfunction sent smoke spiraling into an elevator shaft at a Winchester school Thursday, April 8, prompting evacuations until the source was identified and shut down. The emergency was reported about 11:15 a.m. at Dorothy McElhinney Middle School in the 32000 block of Briggs Road, according to the Riverside County Fire Department. An engine crew and truck company were sent to the location, and firefighters encountered light smoke emanating from the utility room on the bottom floor. All teachers and students had evacuated into the parking lot while crews investigated, according to reports from the scene. There was no word on how many had been in the building. The school, which is part of the Murrieta Valley Unified School District, recommenced classes under a hybri
Subscribe or log in to read the rest of this content.